Queens and colonies in CO need identification!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

GeoAntsCanadaFan

Queens and colonies in CO need identification!

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Two ant colonies that I caught in stapleton CO, yes I live in two places. I have a feeling the smaller ones in the solo test tube are Tetramorium i'm unsure of the larger ones. I suspect that they are carpenter ants because of pictures i've seen of queens and workers and they spin cocoons but I would like to get a better answer from someone who is more experienced.

I caught both colonies around the middle of summer, the "tetramorium ants" are my first colony! The images were taken Feb 2 2020. "Tetramorium" ants have 9 workers now and unidentified ants 4 workers.

https://imgur.com/a/OFJWtzp

Good2Know15

Re: Queens and colonies in CO need identification!

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:46 am

GeoAntsCanadaFan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Two ant colonies that I caught in stapleton CO, yes I live in two places. I have a feeling the smaller ones in the solo test tube are Tetramorium i'm unsure of the larger ones. I suspect that they are carpenter ants because of pictures i've seen of queens and workers and they spin cocoons but I would like to get a better answer from someone who is more experienced.

I caught both colonies around the middle of summer, the "tetramorium ants" are my first colony! The images were taken Feb 2 2020. "Tetramorium" ants have 9 workers now and unidentified ants 4 workers.

https://imgur.com/a/OFJWtzp
Hi there,
The small ants appear to be Tetramorium sp, the bigger one looks to me to be a Formica or maybe Camponotus sp. A couple of (non blurry) pictures from the top and sides would help as well as their lenght measurements posted too. I am looking forward to it. Good luck!
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!