Formicarium? Queen? HELP

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

BillyPW

Formicarium? Queen? HELP

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Hello everyone, I believe that at the moment I am the newest member of the AntsCanada Forum, so I say right now that it is a pleasure to be with everyone :D :D :D , Anyway. . . I live in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) (Sorry for the mistakes, my English is not so good), I am ready to start my first colony but unfortunately I started too late since the nuptial flight periods are almost over :( . Fortunately I found this beautiful insect in my kitchen. Could you tell me if you are a Queen? And what kind would it be?

I already put it in the tube about 3 days ago, so far nothing (I know the process can take months but there is still a likelihood that it is infertile).

BillyPW

Re: Formicarium? Queen? HELP

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:31 pm

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/60-193v7xToHcOeFEZlLfWr7YDglBhC5qoj9_9sgX5qlTIgkaOY9Boxms4yogMWGKWYfWQ=s113

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qq7JPB2sIU2l1cspxELELVOMNeI6N0Z7H_OpTrU9n86EOeFcRYLEYdD7wEXH-Ra_z92hrQ=s85

Apparently the upload of the images I did did not work, I will have to send the link through google, I'm sorry for that.

BillyPW

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:42 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15HCvzWESGtEIV6YNZgCA0EpzSulhSDGM/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15LfYw3EcERDpo3UuLA2MJpW4iy2jm5hF/view?usp=drivesdk

Sorted out

AusAnts

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 pm

photos are blurred but i can tell its a Queen, possibly a species of camponotus. How big do you think she is? and try leave her alone for a week or two.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

BillyPW

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:41 am

AusAnts wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 pm
photos are blurred but i can tell its a Queen, possibly a species of camponotus. How big do you think she is? and try leave her alone for a week or two.
Thanks for the answer Antbro, it will help me a lot. You are right, I will leave it in a corner for this time to see if I have any feedback while I go about setting the configuration. According to my "Eyemometer", it must be 3 to 4 mm. I researched the species here after I saw your answer and it really resembles Camponotus. Thanks again :D :D !! And Sorry for the quality of the photo, next time I try to bring something better.

Good2Know15

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 am

BillyPW wrote:
Hello everyone, I believe that at the moment I am the newest member of the AntsCanada Forum, so I say right now that it is a pleasure to be with everyone :D :D :D , Anyway. . . I live in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) (Sorry for the mistakes, my English is not so good), I am ready to start my first colony but unfortunately I started too late since the nuptial flight periods are almost over :( . Fortunately I found this beautiful insect in my kitchen. Could you tell me if you are a Queen? And what kind would it be?

I already put it in the tube about 3 days ago, so far nothing (I know the process can take months but there is still a likelihood that it is infertile).
Hi there,
It appears to be a (slightly dark variant) Camponotus substitutus queen! What an awesome find, altough your measurement seems to be off because queens of this species are about 15 mm in lenght. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a different species(?). Anyway, it is certainly a Camponotus sp.
Good luck ;)
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

BillyPW

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Good2Know15 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 am
BillyPW wrote:

Hi there,
It appears to be a (slightly dark variant) Camponotus substitutus queen! What an awesome find, altough your measurement seems to be off because queens of this species are about 15 mm in lenght. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a different species(?). Anyway, it is certainly a Camponotus sp.
Good luck ;)

Yeeey !! Doing a search now based on your argument I see that the similarities are evident, I am happy to have this discovery all together. Hey, it's easier for me to be wrong than you since the size I gave was just a kick with my eyes closed. I accept any tip about the treatment of the species, thanks for the answer Antbro :D