Twitching

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Kdpfaf

Twitching

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm

So Im new to the ant world and so far its been amazing. I love these guys with a new found appreciation. I watched a lot of AntsCanada videos before to ensure I would be able to keep her going. I started with my solo Queen. Im constantly watching her ( I have 2 test tubes taped together. It began to transfer but its been 2 weeks now and she wont move. I have one side wrapped dark and the other in light as directed but us Floridans live here cause we love the sun :) .) So I have been observing that the small workers have been passing away and the ones with larger gasters are going strong. Is this normal? Also I got her from a GAN farmer one of her wings is still in the tube so I know they are most likely her first and weaker, I just want to make sure Im not slowly bumping them off. Also the ones with the bigger gasters walk around it looks they are bees trying to sting something. They are Camponotus Floridanus and they arent supposed to be stingers. What are they doing?

Hawkeye

Re: Twitching

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:07 am

Kdpfaf wrote:
So Im new to the ant world and so far its been amazing. I love these guys with a new found appreciation. I watched a lot of AntsCanada videos before to ensure I would be able to keep her going. I started with my solo Queen. Im constantly watching her ( I have 2 test tubes taped together. It began to transfer but its been 2 weeks now and she wont move. I have one side wrapped dark and the other in light as directed but us Floridans live here cause we love the sun :) .) So I have been observing that the small workers have been passing away and the ones with larger gasters are going strong. Is this normal? Also I got her from a GAN farmer one of her wings is still in the tube so I know they are most likely her first and weaker, I just want to make sure Im not slowly bumping them off. Also the ones with the bigger gasters walk around it looks they are bees trying to sting something. They are Camponotus Floridanus and they arent supposed to be stingers. What are they doing?
It sounds to me like your nanitics are starting to die. It could be their age, or possibly they are more susceptible than the others to something that is affecting your colony. At what temperature are you keeping them? They preferably should be kept at no higher than 25 degrees Celsius.
I am not sure about the 'stinging' behaviour, they might be spraying acid instead? Could your colony have been infected with some mites?
I recommend you post your questions in the Camponotus Crew thread if you'd like to exchange ideas and experiences with fellow Carpenter ant keepers.

Antmanboy

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 am

I think that those are likely possibilitys and that they maybe are just starting to die of old age

Hawkeye

Wed May 27, 2020 10:50 am

Kdpfaf wrote:
Also the ones with the bigger gasters walk around it looks they are bees trying to sting something. They are Camponotus Floridanus and they arent supposed to be stingers. What are they doing?
So what is the status of your colony now? The nanitics (the very first workers your queen produces) are smaller, less sturdy versions of the regular workers. They basically only exist to help the queen get going. Find her some fresh food to replenish her resources, help her take care of the brood and the new workers. After that they sort of lose their usefulness as the new, bigger and better model workers are there.