Anyone had success with controlled aphid farming?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DCheezi

Anyone had success with controlled aphid farming?

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 am

Hello, antkeepers. Recently I've had the idea to introduce a sustainable population of aphids into my lasius niger colony's outworld, when I finish making them one. In the UK we have loads of aphids pretty much everywhere, and a few chilli plants of mine are currently teeming with the buggers.
The plan is to relocate a number of aphids from the chillies to a few aloe vera pups I have, and monitor them to see if they thrive or die. Then I will move them into an outworld, and my L. Niger ants will have a steady, sustainable source of honeydew.
Has anyone had success with something similar before? The idea is, since aloe vera thrive in low moisture environments, that a sand/pebble/soil mixture will hold enough moisture for them while also providing an unsuitable place for the ants to nest. I've heard of aphids swarming on aloe vera (but luckily haven't had an infestation yet myself) so I have no doubt that the aphids will like their new home.
Keeper of founding L. Niger colony (~10 workers)
Keeper of founding M. Barbarus colony (20-30 media and minor workers) :)

Antloverhuman

Re: Anyone had success with controlled aphid farming?

Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:33 am

I have never seen aphids in my life so i cant help you with their preferences and stuff, but your plan sounds solid so go ahead. Aloe plants get pretty big and wide sp you will have to make a big outworld which is not recommended for small colonies so keep that in mind
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Antsantsantsaltacc

Re: Anyone had success with controlled aphid farming?

Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:25 am

DCheezi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 am
Hello, antkeepers. Recently I've had the idea to introduce a sustainable population of aphids into my lasius niger colony's outworld, when I finish making them one. In the UK we have loads of aphids pretty much everywhere, and a few chilli plants of mine are currently teeming with the buggers.
The plan is to relocate a number of aphids from the chillies to a few aloe vera pups I have, and monitor them to see if they thrive or die. Then I will move them into an outworld, and my L. Niger ants will have a steady, sustainable source of honeydew.
Has anyone had success with something similar before? The idea is, since aloe vera thrive in low moisture environments, that a sand/pebble/soil mixture will hold enough moisture for them while also providing an unsuitable place for the ants to nest. I've heard of aphids swarming on aloe vera (but luckily haven't had an infestation yet myself) so I have no doubt that the aphids will like their new home.
I dont think aphids like aloe. They seem to love weeds. They like plants that have the white sap stuff in them