Prenolepis Imparis Flights Oroville/California

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

DeathToUnknown

Prenolepis Imparis Flights Oroville/California

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I been reading about Prenolepis Imparis and learned that they almost always take off on the first day it is high 60's/low 70's. Today met those expectations, was clear and sunny, but I didn't find any queens or males and the winter ant nest I discovered and have been watching never had any either. Could this be because it was windy today (upwards 12 mph)? Or are they just waiting to fly later in the week? (The weather supposed to stay in the low 70's for the next few days) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. The nests seem to be slightly more active than usual

DeathToUnknown

Re: Prenolepis Imparis Flights Oroville/California

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Update: I searched all of the next day and only found 2 males. One was found in the leaf litter that I believe is close to one of their nests and one other was found dying in a dish of water. I did not see any signs of queens. I hope they will fly tomorrow because it is the last warm day.

Tzakeran

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Good luck! It may have been the wind keeping them down, or maybe the nest you've found is too young for reproductives. Either way, I hope you find a prenelopis imparis queen! Only time I've found them was on a beach near one of the posts for a walk way. Wind was low, but it was evening time and chilly. Good luck!
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

DeathToUnknown

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 am

Thank you for the information. I keep on occasionally finding males so hopefully, that means the flights are soon instead of already happened. I heard that sometimes it takes a whole week of warm weather for the alates to fly and the males often fly weeks or even a month before the queens. Luckily this whole week is supposed to be in the mid to high sixties.