SYUTEO

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm

CANant wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:49 am
new update:
yesterday, i put a test tube in for my camponotus irritans colony to move into, and eventually they did, and all i saw was just 20-25 workers(including major/soldier workers)the queen and little to no brood.could this be due to mites in which i posted a reply all the way back in a previous post? note: they started out as a mega colony with about 40-50 workers and dropped down to a small colony to only 20-25 workers due to mites, so AntsCanada's golden empire mite problem just repeated itself, but onto my colony!
Sadly this could be the cause. Mikey may have lost the Fire Nation the same way but he’s not sure if the mites came after when the queen died. Very sad. Do any of your ants have mites currently? Does the queen?
Nope, just that colony and luckily the mites started to slowly disappear, but the mites seem to still latch onto some of the workers but not the queen and brood. Sorry for the late reply.

antnest8

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Mites will usually come because of poor colony health and poor conditions, large healthy colonies have less of a chance to get mites.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Rockster

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Hello All,

How do you know when the formicarium is full, and either a bigger or additional formicarium needs to be added. 2 of my colonies are using the water test tube attached to the formicarium to house the pupae maybe a few larva but mostly pupae,est 40 to 50 pupae, they are currently in an AC mini formicarium, I did attach another larger formicarium to 1 of the colonies, and they are not using it hardly at all, leads me to think that they can really fill one up before they are not comforable and need more room.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

Rockster

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Hell All,

I just wanted to update on my Phedole colony, the queen is doing very well now and there are lots of eggs, larva and pupae, I also have a winged alate roaming around in the formicarium, only 1 that I can see and I cant tell if its a male or queen cant get a good enough look
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

CANant

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Rockster wrote:
Hello All,

How do you know when the formicarium is full, and either a bigger or additional formicarium needs to be added. 2 of my colonies are using the water test tube attached to the formicarium to house the pupae maybe a few larva but mostly pupae,est 40 to 50 pupae, they are currently in an AC mini formicarium, I did attach another larger formicarium to 1 of the colonies, and they are not using it hardly at all, leads me to think that they can really fill one up before they are not comforable and need more room.
They may be using the water test tube because they need more humidity in their nest. If you had to guess how many workers do you have in the nest? Or maybe post a picture? If they aren’t moving into the larger nest I would still lean towards the nest isn’t humid enough or they aren’t big enough of a colony.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Rockster

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:34 pm

CANant wrote:
Rockster wrote:
Hello All,

They may be using the water test tube because they need more humidity in their nest. If you had to guess how many workers do you have in the nest? Or maybe post a picture? If they aren’t moving into the larger nest I would still lean towards the nest isn’t humid enough or they aren’t big enough of a colony.
There is plenty moisture in the formicarium, Ill post a pic to show later when I get home
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

CANant

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Rockster wrote:
CANant wrote:
Rockster wrote:
Hello All,

There is plenty moisture in the formicarium, Ill post a pic to show later when I get home
Ok 👍🏻
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Rockster

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am

CANant wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:36 pm
Rockster wrote:
CANant wrote:

Ok 👍🏻
Here is the picture of the formicarium with the test full
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

ArizonanAnts

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 am

You know what it might be. It might be that it's a little more humid in the test tube making it the ideal safest place because it's away from any other entrances.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

ArizonanAnts

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am

I have an inquiry have any of you tried giving your ants fish food? If so would it be a source of protein?

Thank you,

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry: