Nest Substrate

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

WondringLisa

Nest Substrate

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:23 pm

For around 3 months I have been keeping a colony of Messor Barbarus and they seem to be doing well, they are in a substrate nest currently (i bought a pack of substrate mix at the time when i had money for it). However I have begun to find that my choice of glue construction was bad and things are starting to give, and having it in the same container as the outworld is a minor issue now.

So now I am working out a new nesting space in a separate glass vessel with a core to keep the substrate wall at the edges. I can't currently afford to buy substrate (was a sand/loam mix), Can anyone suggest places to gather soil to mix in with sand for a substrate mix?

Lisa

Ants4fun

Re: Nest Substrate

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm

You can probably find dirt mixtures at your local hardware store. Not sure if you can find too much in England this time of year, but almost any dirt/sand mixture should work. Just experiment and make sure that it is firm enough to hold their tunnels!

antnest8

Re: Nest Substrate

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:49 pm

You can use soil from outside just as long as you bake it for 15 minuets at least. As for the mix I would use a mix of potting soil and outdoor soil. The potting soil is cleaner and won't be as messy but the outdoor soil will give it stability.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum