My crematogaster queen has eggs!

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

timeshell

Re: My crematogaster queen has eggs!

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Now at least 18 eggs. The last fruit fly is now starting to look mangled. Either she's going at it too or it's just starting to decompose.

heyhowie

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 am

Any idea how long the eggs take to fully form? Pictures?

timeshell

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:36 am

This is my first experience with ant keeping. Googling suggests it may take about a month.

This is a link to my album. I'll be adding more photos to document this experience.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hg5DoWJhMcUtbBKr7

heyhowie

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 am

You've done well to count those eggs, they're tiny!

Any ideas on the formicarium you'll eventually move them into?

timeshell

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:22 pm

I've been designing my own and they can be found on my thingiverse.com profile.

https://www.thingiverse.com/timeshell/designs

timeshell

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Looks like there are 2 or 3 larvae now. Still 18 total count. I need to get a macro lens.

megabob

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Cool looking queen! I hope she flourishes. I started trying to keep ants last spring. I think my main mistakes were

1. not feeding the queen. My only successful colony is a colony of small black ants. They started doing a lot better when I fed them sugar/sugar water. Although, your genus seems to be more predatory and probably requires more protein? I saw Ausants fed his ants fish food. That might work if you run out of fruit flies :lol:

2. My colony improved a lot after I basically gave up on them and left them alone for a week. I think looking at the queen daily can make her nervous and even could cause her to eat her eggs. But I totally get it, I want to constantly look at my ants!

Take those tips with a grain of salt, I just started as well and haven't had any really successful colonies. :)

Good luck!!

timeshell

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 pm

19 count as of today. Some larvae are difficult to distinguish as such, looking very similar to eggs sometimes. Hopefully will see a pupa in the next week or so.

timeshell

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Still 19 today. But it appears 2 or 3 are starting to show colour changes now, looking a little yellowish and darker in the middle! When I opened the drawer today, the Queen moved aside for me to get a better look. Sometimes she ignores me completely, sometimes she takes a slow walk around and sometimes she crawls up and looks like she's trying to look right at me.

She hasn't touched the most recent fruit fly I put in a few days ago. I connected a second tube using my own designed 3D printed joiners, but it looks like she doesn't want to venture into them. Her primary tube is mostly dry with the secondary tube being the primary source of hydration. I may try directly taping the tubes again just to see if she shows interest in hydrating her fruit fly again.

timeshell

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:11 am

So this morning I decided to remove the connector and taped the two tubes to each other. Upon examination, it appears that the Queen has checked it out and decided to use it as her waste area. This obviously was not its intended use. So I think until the nantiks arrive, I'll just keep using the taped tubes method.