Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MichaelJones

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:41 am

Thank you for the reccomendation, I'll go check rn!

Rockster

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Hello All,

Does anyone else have their ants cover their honey with sand? My outworlds all have a fine white sand in them, and when I feed them a drop of honey, the first thing they do is cover it with sand, they do eat it after covering it, but it's a very strange thing to watch them do.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

Rockster

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Here is my first outworld I designed, I need to get better at gluing, I made a mess, but my question is how do you like it? I have metal screen to put in the lid and magnets go in the round spots to hold the lid closed.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

CabboAntsGuy

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm

It is very pretty, I would defiantly by it! :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Kherafox

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 am

So, ok. Colony moving question - when should I offer the mini-hybrid nest to my crematos?

And, I'm thinking about just applying tape to the corners of the glass, as I want to be able to clean it out later when needed, instead of gluing it - besides the glass is heavy! I can't imagine them being able to move it. Thoughts?
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

Rockster

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:59 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm
It is very pretty, I would defiantly by it! :D
Thanks :D I also made one the same be half the length, 12x3x4 and 6x3x4
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

Rockster

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:07 am

Kherafox wrote:
So, ok. Colony moving question - when should I offer the mini-hybrid nest to my crematos?

And, I'm thinking about just applying tape to the corners of the glass, as I want to be able to clean it out later when needed, instead of gluing it - besides the glass is heavy! I can't imagine them being able to move it. Thoughts?
Dont be in to much of a hurry, as I was :oops: if they have to much room part of it becomes the dump, How many workers? to do it again I would have waited till I had twice the workers, and the glass does not need tape, unless they are ghost ants they are not getting thru it, I made the mistake of gluing mine, not looking forward to getting it apart to clean it, but I only used kids glue so it should just take warm water.
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1

Kherafox

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:11 am

Rockster wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:07 am
Kherafox wrote:

Dont be in to much of a hurry, as I was :oops: if they have to much room part of it becomes the dump, How many workers? to do it again I would have waited till I had twice the workers, and the glass does not need tape, unless they are ghost ants they are not getting thru it, I made the mistake of gluing mine, not looking forward to getting it apart to clean it, but I only used kids glue so it should just take warm water.
She has seven workers right now, with a clump of pupa probably going to eclose within a week or so. It just seems like they're bored.. sometimes they hang out and do nothing. And yeah they use a corner of their test tube portal that I feed them in as a garbage dump.

The main thing is, I don't want them to get to be too many when I go to move them, and have several escape - maybe just attach one of the other ports to the tube, then to the nest if I should wait til they have a bunch more.
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

Kherafox

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 am

Okay, I've been trying through various sites and methods to share pics and nothing is working. -_- I could have sworn this was easy.

nevermind... upcoming pictures

Kherafox

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:47 am

Since I haven't been able to get good pictures (even now sometimes my phone wants to focus on the ant footprints on the tube instead of the contents) of my Crematogaster Laeviuscula founding colony til now, I thought I might spam a few pictures from about a week ago and now. The mealworm/brood pics are 5 days ago, the current blurry ones and honeywater is today. :)

And then... my how the brood grows fast!