Need help on Myrmicaria carinata

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Need help on Myrmicaria carinata

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:45 am

A few days ago, i caught a Myrmicaria carinata queen(i believe its that species) and today she laid some eggs, so here i have a few questions about her care:
Are they semi or fully claustral? What temperature do i need to keep her in? Shall i try feeding her some honey? What do they eat (this is probably the dumbest question I'd asked)?
Hopefully someone who had kept this species will help me answer some of my questions. Thx

SYUTEO

Re: Need help on Myrmicaria carinata

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:08 am

She now has larvae about 10 of them, and she still has some eggs

Timmannen7

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 am

Hi! Myrmecia queens are semi claustral and require proteins, insects maybe mealworms or crickets but i recommend you gut load them before you feed them to get the max amout of protein out of them.
I have no experience with myrmecia i have currently a odontomachus queen with no eggs that reject all food ;)
don't know prefered temperature i have a heating mat that get to about 25-28 celsius and i don't heat the entire setup.
:ugeek: ;)
Formica rufibarbis
Odontomachus monticola
Tetramorim sp

SYUTEO

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:02 am

Timmannen7 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 am
Hi! Myrmecia queens are semi claustral and require proteins, insects maybe mealworms or crickets but i recommend you gut load them before you feed them to get the max amout of protein out of them.
I have no experience with myrmecia i have currently a odontomachus queen with no eggs that reject all food ;)
don't know prefered temperature i have a heating mat that get to about 25-28 celsius and i don't heat the entire setup.
Thanks but I'm actually here for myrmicaria, go to this page and have a look... :geek: Its a totally different species... :geek: https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Myrmicaria