Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Hello guys!

Sorry that I haven't been on in a while. I wanted to ask if ants eat dry oatmeal for a carb source.

Thank you,

-ArizonanAnts
Ehh try and find out I guess? I have never heard of someone feeding it to their colony, but you might just be on to something. Let us know?

Kherafox

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:57 am

Update from me: my Crematogaster Laeviuscula (however you spell it :P ) now has four workers (most recent one is pretty sturdy compared to the first three) and a bunch of eggs with a few pupa still! They're alternating eating honey water and moths or cut up mealworms.

Now that there are four, it seems one of the older ones always picks entrance-of-the-nest guard duty. Every time I look I count the two newest, still not fully colored, and can only find one older, until I look at the tube entrance. :lol:

Things are going decently well. :)
Ant-keeping newbie! Currently keeping one Crematogaster Laeviscula Queen (Helena, with seven workers, and lots of increasing brood amounts!). :D

Rockster

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:37 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 pm
Rockster wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 pm
I was able to get the black crazy ants to move into an AC formicarium, I counted 20 queens
20 Queens wow! Have they never heard of overkill? :D
I have a feeling this colony will quickly out grow this setup, they may end up back where they came from, on their own in the wild if they get to "crazy"
Queens...
Camponotus floridanus- 1
Paratrechina longicornis- 20+
Dorymurmex bureni- 3
Colobopsis impressa- 2
Pheidole megacephala-1
Tapinoma Melanocephalum- 2

CabboAntsGuy

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:48 pm

HEllO everyone. I'm so sorry I haven't been on in a long, long, time. Not much has been happening, but I finally have an update.

First of all, Welcome all you new members, going back through all 40 pages I missed would take the rest of the year :lol: , so welcome to all of you!

I now only have Five hibernating queens, the two pharaoh ants died. :( I only expect a few to live, but There are five hibernating.

That's basically it, I'll try to be on more often now, again so sorry.

StirTheFire
-Cabbo
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

ArizonanAnts

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am

So I gave my ants some oatmeal but they don't seem to be interested. What have you guys given you ants for a carbohydrate source?

Thanks,

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Hawkeye

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 am

Kherafox wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:57 am
Update from me: my Crematogaster Laeviuscula (however you spell it :P ) now has four workers (most recent one is pretty sturdy compared to the first three) and a bunch of eggs with a few pupa still! They're alternating eating honey water and moths or cut up mealworms.

Now that there are four, it seems one of the older ones always picks entrance-of-the-nest guard duty. Every time I look I count the two newest, still not fully colored, and can only find one older, until I look at the tube entrance. :lol:

Things are going decently well. :)
Don't the responsibilities always seem to fall on the oldest sister? Lol. Glad to hear your colony is doing well

Hawkeye

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:12 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am
So I gave my ants some oatmeal but they don't seem to be interested. What have you guys given you ants for a carbohydrate source?

Thanks,

-ArizonanAnts
Fruit, honey, sugarwater, agave / maple syrup, there are loads of things. But I am guessing you're not after sugars but proteins? In which case there are a lot of options too. Insects, meat, cat food jelly, egg white, seeds, peanut butter etc.

ArizonanAnts

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 am

You guessed correctly. I'll try giving them seeds and "seed" if they like them. HAHAHA :lol:

Thank you all for all the help that you have given me!! I wish you all the best on your colonies through this 2019/20 winter!

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

SYUTEO

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Hello guys!

Sorry that I haven't been on in a while. I wanted to ask if ants eat dry oatmeal for a carb source.

Thank you,

-ArizonanAnts
Ehh try and find out I guess? I have never heard of someone feeding it to their colony, but you might just be on to something. Let us know?
i guess some species will and some species don't, i did that to my big headed ant colony and they eat it but sometimes they don't

SYUTEO

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 am

i got an update on my camponotus irritans colony, they have mites!!! i can't believe it!!! :( is my colony going to all die out!? :cry: not just that i also saw my colony was decreasing in population! those were fairly small mites and they were all over my ants, i also saw a major worker struggling to climb the plastic wall to eat the sugar water i gave them :cry: omg! are they blood sucking mites!? :(