How do I know if eggs are still viable?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

PixieXV

How do I know if eggs are still viable?

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm

I found a lasius niger queen on the 2nd August and she laid some eggs which still haven't hatched, the water has run out and I don't know what to do. I've tried attaching another tube but she doesn't want to move. She is still standing over her eggs but shouldn't they have hatched by now? I found her on holiday and it was a hot, bumpy 5 hour drive home, I'm worried that her eggs might be dead. Please can anyone help?

Hawkeye

Re: How do I know if eggs are still viable?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:40 am

PixieXV wrote:
I found a lasius niger queen on the 2nd August and she laid some eggs which still haven't hatched, the water has run out and I don't know what to do. I've tried attaching another tube but she doesn't want to move. She is still standing over her eggs but shouldn't they have hatched by now? I found her on holiday and it was a hot, bumpy 5 hour drive home, I'm worried that her eggs might be dead. Please can anyone help?
Hi there,

If the eggs are dead, she would have eaten them by now. What temperature are you keeping her at? And have you fed her meanwhile?

DCheezi

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 pm

PixieXV wrote:
Late reply, hope your ants are doing okay :| . Since the water's run out, if you have a syringe you could put some more, if you're careful not to flood the water cotton area place.
That is a long time for the eggs to hatch, are you sure they haven't actually hatched and just look still like eggs? If the eggs were dead they wouldn't stay their pearly white colour. If you've attached another tube and she doesn't try to move, you COULD use light to try and force her to, but I wouldn't advise that as it will stress her out, and if she needs water she will move on her own. Another thing is she could be hibernating, but I haven't seen any information as to whether or not eggs/larva hibernate too. I agree with Hawkeye in that the queen would probably have already eaten the eggs if they were dead. Hope they're alright
Keeper of founding L. Niger colony (~10 workers)
Keeper of founding M. Barbarus colony (20-30 media and minor workers) :)

PixieXV

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 am

At the advice of another ant keeper, I used light to move her into a tube with water, they said not to feed her, but just let her sleep til Spring. Would you suggest feeding her? It's a typical British winter, (sometimes you can see your breath inside the house!) probably 4-14 degrees.

Hawkeye

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:06 pm

PixieXV wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 am
At the advice of another ant keeper, I used light to move her into a tube with water, they said not to feed her, but just let her sleep til Spring. Would you suggest feeding her? It's a typical British winter, (sometimes you can see your breath inside the house!) probably 4-14 degrees.
Of she's hibernating, just leave her be. She'll likely won't eat anyway.