*PLEASE HELP* New ant keeper - Need advice

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

coolfrood16

*PLEASE HELP* New ant keeper - Need advice

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am

Hi, I’m a new ant keeper and I have a question. I have had a aphaenogaster carolinensis queen in my closet with some brood. I left her without checking for about 2 ½ weeks because I thought this was the vest course of action. I have now checked and she has one new worker and it appears that there is another worker who is dead. I have an AntsCanada ant tower small and I was wondering if I should move them in now. I’m worried that they may need food the keep healthy. It is a fully claustral species and I have had trouble finding out when they should be released into a formicarium. To clarify, this formicarium has digging medium and the ants would have to dig into it before the queen moved or any of her brood. I am concerned about that because there is only one worker. Please help!

Hawkeye

Re: *PLEASE HELP* New ant keeper - Need advice

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:19 am

coolfrood16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am
Hi, I’m a new ant keeper and I have a question. I have had a aphaenogaster carolinensis queen in my closet with some brood. I left her without checking for about 2 ½ weeks because I thought this was the vest course of action. I have now checked and she has one new worker and it appears that there is another worker who is dead. I have an AntsCanada ant tower small and I was wondering if I should move them in now. I’m worried that they may need food the keep healthy. It is a fully claustral species and I have had trouble finding out when they should be released into a formicarium. To clarify, this formicarium has digging medium and the ants would have to dig into it before the queen moved or any of her brood. I am concerned about that because there is only one worker. Please help!
You can give the ants a small droplet of honey in the tube they're in, but moving them to the tower is inadviceable at this point. Wait until she has 20-30 workers.

coolfrood16

Re: *PLEASE HELP* New ant keeper - Need advice

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am

Ok thank you.