Queen ant bitting on cotton

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntZilla

Queen ant bitting on cotton

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Hello, I Have gotten my queen ant (Camponotus herculeanus) yesterday and I immediately put her in a new test tube as the one it came with was molding so once all of that was done I was soon to realize she was biting on the cotton as I started to panic she looked so desperate forcing her little head against the cotton
So I thought Maybe she wanted more space so I put her in a combined test tube of two taped together but not taped all the way just enough so she can breath and I realized she is enjoying it so is this method okay to do or will it harm the queen and is it okay to check on her daily?

Hawkeye

Re: Queen ant bitting on cotton

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:13 am

AntZilla wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Hello, I Have gotten my queen ant (Camponotus herculeanus) yesterday and I immediately put her in a new test tube as the one it came with was molding so once all of that was done I was soon to realize she was biting on the cotton as I started to panic she looked so desperate forcing her little head against the cotton
So I thought Maybe she wanted more space so I put her in a combined test tube of two taped together but not taped all the way just enough so she can breath and I realized she is enjoying it so is this method okay to do or will it harm the queen and is it okay to check on her daily?
Hi there!
If your queen seems happy, it's probably fine. She might have just perceived the new cotton and it's smell a threat, not knowing anything other than her previous tube it can be scary to discover new things.
Definitely don't check on her everyday. That will cause huge levels of stress for her. Put her somewhere dark and resist the urge to check for at least 2 weeks. Let her settle in and get used to the new surroundings, forget about the journey etc.
Meanwhile you're more than welcome to join our Camponotus Crew thread if you'd like to exchange ideas and experiences with fellow Carpenter ant keepers.