Need Help Identifying Queen!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ShadowNova

Need Help Identifying Queen!

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Fellow Ant Keepers,
Found this queen ant at Tamborine Mountain, Queensland, Australia. She is approx. 0.5 - 0.6 mm in length, and was found underneath a rock on the 11/02/2019 (past few days were rainy). I thought she may have been a Amblyopone australis queen, however upon taking a closer look she appears to be quite different. Would anyone be able to identify this queen for me?

Cheers ShadowNova

Keeping the following Colonies:
  • Myrmecia Chrysogaster
  • Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
  • Rhytidoponera Metallica
  • Rhytidoponera Aspersa
  • Camponotus Aeneopilosus
  • Pheidole Sp.
  • Iridomeryx Purperus
  • Other Sp. Etc

Hawkeye

Re: Need Help Identifying Queen!

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 am

ShadowNova wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 am
Hi Fellow Ant Keepers,
Found this queen ant at Tamborine Mountain, Queensland, Australia. She is approx. 0.5 - 0.6 mm in length, and was found underneath a rock on the 11/02/2019 (past few days were rainy). I thought she may have been a Amblyopone australis queen, however upon taking a closer look she appears to be quite different. Would anyone be able to identify this queen for me?

Cheers ShadowNova

Hi there!

Beautiful picture and specimen. I live the coloration and those enormous jaws on her. Not well versed I'm ants in Australia I'm afraid but maybe this will help: https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Australia

I guess at that size you can rule out the Camponotus all together. A side perspective of the ant will help you narrow down the list as well.

ShadowNova

Re: Need Help Identifying Queen!

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 am
Hi there!

Beautiful picture and specimen. I live the coloration and those enormous jaws on her. Not well versed I'm ants in Australia I'm afraid but maybe this will help: https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Australia

I guess at that size you can rule out the Camponotus all together. A side perspective of the ant will help you narrow down the list as well.
Hi, thanks for the recommendation, still working out what species she is however, I might just wait for the first set of workers for an easier identification.

Cheers ShadowNova
Keeping the following Colonies:
  • Myrmecia Chrysogaster
  • Iridomyrmex Bicknelli
  • Rhytidoponera Metallica
  • Rhytidoponera Aspersa
  • Camponotus Aeneopilosus
  • Pheidole Sp.
  • Iridomeryx Purperus
  • Other Sp. Etc