Forelius Clan

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

LasiusSapien

Re: Forelius Clan

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:31 pm
JustABitAntsy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm

hey AZ so I think I found what genus the queens I caught are from I've been searching and I'm leaning towards a certain native species of myrmica in Virginia well that's all for now back to my research have a nice day also what is a good degree for getting the queen ants to lay eggs faster
Thats good. I will do some research on Virginian Myrmica species. You can try heating the room to about 77 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, try peeking in on them about every 10 to 14 days. This will make her comfortable and start laying eggs. Sadly without workers, this is probably the best any ant keeper can do. If you know the exact species then you can try something called brood boosting which is getting eggs from another nest of the same species and putting them in the same tube as the queen and see if she tends them. This could work but if LasiusSapian sees this, see his opinion on brood boosting. If been thinking of doing it but I've read that it can stress the queen out and also maybe eat them. But if you see this Lasius please give us you opinion on brood boosting. Hopefully, this helps you out. ;)
hey guys, yeah brood boosting went well for me the hardest part is trying not to damage the pupa but i first gave my lasius queen about 20ish brood waited a few weeks and then added about 80ish more

i think so long as you don't overwhelm the queen with 100's at a time she should be fine
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

ArizonanAnts

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Thank you for your input Lasius! Hopefully, that gives you some ideas JustABitAntsy.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

JustABitAntsy

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:22 am

okay thanks not to be rude or anything to a species of ants, but I really hope my research is incorrect, because I feel I would fail taking over myrmica, not only for I hate getting stung or bit, but because the factor they are basically solenopsis which has the factors of fast growing, eascape artists, and I forgot the other one Mikey said in how to keep fire ants as pets
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

Hawkeye

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:12 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm
Hi everyone. This for people to have fun. Anyone is welcome. Please don't post anything inappropriate because many of us are younger people. But anyway, have fun and enjoy!! :D
Haha you old copycat! I hope your thread / clan will become just as active as the Camponotus Crew thread! :D

JustABitAntsy

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
ArizonanAnts wrote:
Hi everyone. This for people to have fun. Anyone is welcome. Please don't post anything inappropriate because many of us are younger people. But anyway, have fun and enjoy!! :D
Haha you old copycat! I hope your thread / clan will become just as active as the Camponotus Crew thread! :D
Hawkeye WAR!!!!!!!!! just kidding :lol:
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:

ArizonanAnts

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 pm

JustABitAntsy wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
ArizonanAnts wrote:
lol. I just wanted to do something different since most people on the CC talk about campo ants so I made this so that people could talk about forelius ants. But like JustABitAntsy said... Hawkeye WAR!!! lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

You should join though ;)
Keeper of

JustABitAntsy

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 pm
JustABitAntsy wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

lol. I just wanted to do something different since most people on the CC talk about campo ants so I made this so that people could talk about forelius ants. But like JustABitAntsy said... Hawkeye WAR!!! lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

You should join though ;)
WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR!!!!!!!!!!

ArizonanAnts

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 am

Ant Update 11/4/2019:

Forelia has 4 pupae still and nothing really has happened.

The other Queen has 2 pupae and by the end of the week, we will definitely have a worker. The pupa is already starting to get its color.

Well, that's it.
Keeper of

LasiusSapien

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 am
Ant Update 11/4/2019:

Forelia has 4 pupae still and nothing really has happened.

The other Queen has 2 pupae and by the end of the week, we will definitely have a worker. The pupa is already starting to get its color.

Well, that's it.
i thought you might find this interesting it's a short description of the sub family forelius ants are from

"Dolichoderinae is a subfamily of ants, which includes species such as the Argentine ant (Linepithema humile), the erratic ant, the odorous house ant, and the cone ant. The subfamily presents a great diversity of species throughout the world, distributed in different biogeographic regions, from the Palearctic, Nearctic, Afrotropical region and Malaysia, to the Middle East, Australian, and Neotropical regions.

This subfamily is distinguished by having a single petiole (no post-petiole) and a slit-like orifice, from which chemical compounds are released. Dolichoderine ants do not possess a sting, unlike ants in some other subfamilies, such as Ponerinae and Myrmicinae, instead relying on the chemical defensive compounds produced from the anal gland.

Of the compounds produced by dolichoderine ants, several terpenoids were identified including the previously unknown iridomyrmecin, isoiridomyrmecin, and iridodial. Such compounds are responsible for the smell given off by ants of this subfamily when crushed or disturbed."
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

ArizonanAnts

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:50 pm

LasiusSapien wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 am
the anal gland.
lol :lol: :roll:

Thanks that was very imformative.