Awesome Catch of A Bday

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

JustABitAntsy

Awesome Catch of A Bday

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 pm

So today is my Bday and I been wanting to keep ants for a while, but I couldn't because I knew nuptial flight was over besides some rare occurences. Haha well my brother found for me one of those rare occurrences when he spotted one I currently didn't have a test tube yet so I scooped it up with a water bottle that is empty then transferred it to a pill bottle I had cleaned a while ago. Well sure it didn't have the best transfer because it kind've got caught in the droplets of water. I think I got it out of the water droplets in time though I plan to take pics in a few days I'm feeling it might be solenopsis or maybe a myrmica or tetramorium, but I don't know yet well that's all wish it luck that it'll survive and if it does I will probs name it Lucky for the various reasons I have given. New AntKeeper JustABitAntsy over and out :D
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

ArizonanAnts

Re: Awesome Catch of A Bday

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm

That is super awesome :o . I hope everything goes well and hope she survives. You'll HAVE to keep me updated . You'll also have to tell me if that pill bottle is working for you. Again. CONGRATS. :D

Friend of New AntKeeper JustABitAntsy, ArizonanAnts,

Over and Out. :) ;)
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

JustABitAntsy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:01 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm
That is super awesome :o . I hope everything goes well and hope she survives. You'll HAVE to keep me updated . You'll also have to tell me if that pill bottle is working for you. Again. CONGRATS. :D

Friend of New AntKeeper JustABitAntsy, ArizonanAnts,

Over and Out. :) ;)
haha well I got for one of my birthday gifts test tubes so I put her in one also she seems really small so I think probs a tetramorium because they're so small, but not for sure yet well I will try to send pics also she hasn't laid eggs yet and she does still have her wings anyways JustABitAntsy over and out
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:

LasiusSapien

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 am

JustABitAntsy wrote:
So today is my Bday and I been wanting to keep ants for a while, but I couldn't because I knew nuptial flight was over besides some rare occurences. Haha well my brother found for me one of those rare occurrences when he spotted one I currently didn't have a test tube yet so I scooped it up with a water bottle that is empty then transferred it to a pill bottle I had cleaned a while ago. Well sure it didn't have the best transfer because it kind've got caught in the droplets of water. I think I got it out of the water droplets in time though I plan to take pics in a few days I'm feeling it might be solenopsis or maybe a myrmica or tetramorium, but I don't know yet well that's all wish it luck that it'll survive and if it does I will probs name it Lucky for the various reasons I have given. New AntKeeper JustABitAntsy over and out :D
nice one bud, as my mum used to say if you want to find something stop looking for it, :D
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

JustABitAntsy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:31 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
JustABitAntsy wrote:
nice one bud, as my mum used to say if you want to find something stop looking for it, :D
hey thanks also I made a post of a vid i recorded it with can you see if you knowwhat type of queen it is?

LasiusSapien

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:43 am

JustABitAntsy wrote:
LasiusSapien wrote:
JustABitAntsy wrote:
hey thanks also I made a post of a vid i recorded it with can you see if you knowwhat type of queen it is?
yeah watched the vid but tbh i'm not sure she'll be easier to ID when she loses her wings, soz bud not much help there

JustABitAntsy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:43 am
JustABitAntsy wrote:
LasiusSapien wrote:

yeah watched the vid but tbh i'm not sure she'll be easier to ID when she loses her wings, soz bud not much help there
true also I would say she is around a centimeter and she is redish by the way do you think she can lay eggs right now or should I just prep her for hibernation

ArizonanAnts

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:43 pm

JustABitAntsy wrote:
LasiusSapien wrote:
JustABitAntsy wrote:
Where is the video?
Keeper of

LasiusSapien

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:01 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Where is the video?
in this post https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16139

ArizonanAnts

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks. Nive vid. Couldn't really see the queen clear enough to ID her, but she looks really nice.
Keeper of