Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Samoril217

Queen Ant Caught in Phoenix, AZ

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Kdpfaf

Re: Queen Ant Caught in Phoenix, AZ

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks like a Solenopsis invicta Buren (imported red) by the looks of the petiole and gastor

ArizonanAnts

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Hey!! I live in AZ too! It looks like a novomessor cockerelli. BTW not to be rude or anything but umm... Solenopsis Invicta is not native here in AZ
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

LasiusSapien

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Hey!! I live in AZ too! It looks like a novomessor cockerelli. BTW not to be rude or anything but umm... Solenopsis Invicta is not native here in AZ
awesome looking ants very similar to my manica rubida but they would be as there both from the same subfamily the Myrmicinae subfamily
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Kdpfaf

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:18 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
YIKES!!!! Make me regret making a comment. And Im not trying to be rude either but make sure you read an article all the way through and not just gather 10% of your info
https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_invicta

ArizonanAnts

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Kdpfaf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:18 pm
ArizonanAnts wrote:
YIKES!!!! Make me regret making a comment. And Im not trying to be rude either but make sure you read an article all the way through and not just gather 10% of your info
https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_invicta
They are actually not native. They are invasive.

Here are some quotes from that link.

"new infestations have been detected and exterminated in Arizona"

"Invasive populations of Solenopsis invicta are by no means easy to ignore. They have been linked to a multitude of destructive effects, including stinging humans, agricultural and horticultural damages, and substantial negative impacts on native faunas and floras. This has resulted in social and political pressure on governments to "solve" the fire ant problem. Government involvement in fire ant research developed first in the United States, which has an 80 year history of Imported Fire Ant infestation"

"The Red Imported Fire Ant (Solenopsis invicta) is a native of tropical and subtropical South America that has achieved international notoriety by becoming an enormously successful invasive ant throughout much of the southern United States."

There you go. Don't worry I do thorough research.
Keeper of

ArizonanAnts

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 pm

About my last few posts on this topic, I wanted to apologize. I reread what I had posted. It may have been seen as sarcastic. I wanted to share that Solenopsis Invicta is an invasive species that the government has been trying to exterminate so I just wanted to support the whole Native ant's movement and tell others that keeping an invasive species could be harmful to the environment. It's not for me to decide what you want to do with your ants, in case that that queen is a Solenopsis Invicta. Again I am really sorry for the sarcasm earlier. :( :(

I found this link to a YouTube video. It looks exactly like your ant. Hopefully, this helps!! :) :)

https://youtu.be/GVOVtAMCrA8
Keeper of

Kdpfaf

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
About my last few posts on this topic, I wanted to apologize. I reread what I had posted. It may have been seen as sarcastic. I wanted to share that Solenopsis Invicta is an invasive species that the government has been trying to exterminate so I just wanted to support the whole Native ant's movement and tell others that keeping an invasive species could be harmful to the environment. It's not for me to decide what you want to do with your ants, in case that that queen is a Solenopsis Invicta. Again I am really sorry for the sarcasm earlier. :( :(

I apologize too. I do understand they are not native to the area hence imported red ant. I am extremely new to the ant world and working with my first queen now. Looking at the pic and then looking up ants in Arizona thats what I found with the abdomen and the two round balls for "waist" then the gaster thats what it looked like to me. Im not trying to cause a tornado of chaos and mess the order of the site, but I am trying to learn.

I found this link to a YouTube video. It looks exactly like your ant. Hopefully, this helps!! :) :)

LasiusSapien

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:

wow those novomessor cockerelli are awesome they seeem just like my manica rubida should be a nice active species, gonna keep my eye out for those
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

ArizonanAnts

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am

Are we good Kdpfaf?
Keeper of