Pheidole yeensis food help

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Jason23

Pheidole yeensis food help

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Any help would be appreciated.
Recently purchased pheidole yeensis in UK England, 1 Queen 30 or more minor workers and 5 majors (soldiers) as there know.
I have placed the test tube they came in into a clear acrylic box which as a small out world for them to have a jog around lol, and there's a nesting area for them to move into.
Had them a couple of weeks now but they are keeping there small colony in the test tube they arrived in and not moved out, temperature is kept at room temperature which is around 20 to 25 and theres humidity as well.
The main question is I'm struggling to find out what exactly they will eat and not eat, I have placed a variety of food in to test what they are interested in like tuna, chicken, honey water, even soft chocolate, and I have tried some of the bugs from my garden.
So far they have shown a little interest in the chicken and they seem to like the spiders, but not been interested in the tuna and honey water and chocolate and some other sweet stuff I put in.
I can't find anyone who sells fruit flys in England which I read is recommended.
So if anyone has got any ideas of what other food to try and any other tips in keeping these ants it would be appreciated thx.

LasiusSapien

Re: Pheidole yeensis food help

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:01 am

my local pets at home has a selection of feeder insects they often have flightless fruit files for sale also so some fish shops sale live food for pond fish and the like
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Vincex

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 am

Wakooshi are a good bet too
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

LasiusSapien

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:03 am

also forgot https://www.livefoods.co.uk
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Jason23

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Thx for replying, called at a shop called snakes and ladders even though they don't have ants they were helpful, they had no fruit flys but the guy there gave me a cricket for them to try and a small tub of larvae or some kind of large maggots, really not sure what they are but he said it wouldn't hurt to try feeding them one, they have had a go at it but seem now to be reluctant, they seem to be just forming a circle around it and probe it as if they are not quite sure what to do.
Went down to local pets at home only for it to be closed down unfortunately but will try another at the other side of town.

Vincex

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Don't forget to Pierce the skin to give them access to the juices inside ! Smaller ants don't always have the capability to cut the outer layer
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Jason23

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 pm

These ants were not interested in the larvae or large maggot at all even after helping them out by cutting the head off the larvae.
Also the dead cricket didn't take there fancy.
They just seem to love spiders at moment which is a nightmare for me because Im frightened to death of spiders I suffer from real arachnophobia.
Seem as the colony is young and small it might take a while before they start eating some of the other insects I put in.

Jason23

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am

Can't believe it, when these ants arrived in the tube they were all bunched up as normal a specially the majors and it was hard to see the Queen, the tube was placed into a small out area with a built in nest, it took a few days for them to leave the tube and happened during the night so I missed it, a few days back I removed the cover over the nest area to see the Queen and I can't find one? All I can see is 5 Majors and lots of workers and the eggs that were in the tube.
I have emailed Antsmynala.Co.Uk to confirm that this order included a Queen but they have not replied to any email, the sale on line clearly says 1 Queen with brood and 30 to 40 workers, I find it unbelievable that a company like Antsmynala could make a mistake like this with them been experts, I feel like I have been scammed with them not replying.

Vincex

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am

Strange is it possible the queens only a small bit bigger ? Check online !! There isn't always a big diff between queen and worker or major size !!
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Jason23

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:18 am

I know the majors are nearly as big as the queen, but the queens body shape is normally slightly different, yesterday I put a fly in the out area and all 5 majors where out of the nest area helping the workers, I wouldn't amagine a queen coming out to help, which kind of confirms there's no queen in the nest when the only ants left in the nest was about 10 minor workers.