Hawkeye

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:32 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am
sartwell90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am
12 pages to catch up on! :O
I know, I can't imagine anyone new trying to read all the way through them :lol: . I wonder if Hawkeye could add something to the title to just tell them to skip to page 60 or something like that. Good to see you back sartwell90. :D
I can't edit the title lol.

Hawkeye

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 pm

Sorry I haven't been on a lot lately, my new teaching job and simultaneously getting my degree has kept me really busy. I thought working in hospitality was hard, but a week in front of the classroom feels like working 2 weeks in a busy restaurant.

Meanwhile I have been collecting materials for my paludarium project. I got a led light with a day and night setting, different types of rocks for (aqua)scaping, seeds for a variety of waterplants, huge 50x50cm filter mats, and I've ordered some more seeds/tools/airpumps etc.

At this point I would have loved to tell you that I had settled into my new home and the refugium was 'running in', but alas it turned out differently. So still facing an 1,5 hour commute every morning and still looking for a place to live.

CabboAntsGuy

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:32 pm
CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am
sartwell90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am
12 pages to catch up on! :O
I know, I can't imagine anyone new trying to read all the way through them :lol: . I wonder if Hawkeye could add something to the title to just tell them to skip to page 60 or something like that. Good to see you back sartwell90. :D
I can't edit the title lol.
Oh, didn't realize that :lol: , sorry.
Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 pm
Sorry I haven't been on a lot lately, my new teaching job and simultaneously getting my degree has kept me really busy. I thought working in hospitality was hard, but a week in front of the classroom feels like working 2 weeks in a busy restaurant.

Meanwhile I have been collecting materials for my paludarium project. I got a led light with a day and night setting, different types of rocks for (aqua)scaping, seeds for a variety of waterplants, huge 50x50cm filter mats, and I've ordered some more seeds/tools/airpumps etc.

At this point I would have loved to tell you that I had settled into my new home and the refugium was 'running in', but alas it turned out differently. So still facing an 1,5 hour commute every morning and still looking for a place to live.
Sounds like you have quite the busy life. Wondering what grade or class you're teaching? And don't worry about not being on all the time. We all have lives away from ants. Some of us just have nothing else to do. :D I think we all need to know that we don't need to let ants consume our lives like they would a cricket or a grasshopper. :lol:
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

ArizonanAnts

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:31 am

Hey guys. Last night it rained like crazy there was even lightning :o . It was pretty scary. Well, this morning my dad wakes me up saying let see if there are any late fliers. I said "okay". We went out and we saw a whole bunch of males coming out of holes!!! We walked around and we started to discouraged but then we saw this big group of ants and in the middle... a queen! She had half a wing so we decided to catch her and see if she lays any eggs. She seems to be Lasius Niger or Neoniger. Then I said well maybe the trap-jaw ant that moved in near my apartment was out but she wasn't. Coming back my dad almost stepped on an Acromyrmex Versicolor. Yes, another one. I say another one because I hd caught one about 3 weeks ago. Well, I'll update you guys in a couple of days.

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CabboAntsGuy

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Bet you weren't expecting to find them this late in the year. Still, sounds like your queens have a few more roommates. :D :lol:
Keep:
2 formica subsericea
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

ArizonanAnts

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:14 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Bet you weren't expecting to find them this late in the year. Still, sounds like your queens have a few more roommates. :D :lol:
Lol. Right now Arizona has its monsoon season so I guess your right. HAHA :D :D :lol: :lol:
Keeper of

Hawkeye

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:28 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:

Sounds like you have quite the busy life. Wondering what grade or class you're teaching?
Well it certainly keeps me very busy indeed. Yesterday I left the house at 06:15 and didn't return until 20:15, so very long days.

I teach at a secondary school to 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Ranging from 13 - 17 years old. The school is at the lowest level of the spectrum, difficulty wise. They're the type of pupils that prefer to be busy, have the attention span and retention of a goldfish. So it is definitely challenging to try to teach them useful skills. I teach hospitality (exclusively in the kitchen this period) and sports & recreations organisation.

CabboAntsGuy

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:47 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:28 am
CabboAntsGuy wrote:

Sounds like you have quite the busy life. Wondering what grade or class you're teaching?
Well it certainly keeps me very busy indeed. Yesterday I left the house at 06:15 and didn't return until 20:15, so very long days.

I teach at a secondary school to 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Ranging from 13 - 17 years old. The school is at the lowest level of the spectrum, difficulty wise. They're the type of pupils that prefer to be busy, have the attention span and retention of a goldfish. So it is definitely challenging to try to teach them useful skills. I teach hospitality (exclusively in the kitchen this period) and sports & recreations organisation.
Cool, I never would have guessed you'd be the kind to teach, but as we've found out on this page, people will most always surprise you. :lol:
Keep:
2 formica subsericea

sartwell90

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Hey guys. Last night it rained like crazy there was even lightning :o . It was pretty scary. Well, this morning my dad wakes me up saying let see if there are any late fliers. I said "okay". We went out and we saw a whole bunch of males coming out of holes!!! We walked around and we started to discouraged but then we saw this big group of ants and in the middle... a queen! She had half a wing so we decided to catch her and see if she lays any eggs. She seems to be Lasius Niger or Neoniger. Then I said well maybe the trap-jaw ant that moved in near my apartment was out but she wasn't. Coming back my dad almost stepped on an Acromyrmex Versicolor. Yes, another one. I say another one because I hd caught one about 3 weeks ago. Well, I'll update you guys in a couple of days.

-ArizonanAnts
Awesome job Arizonan! Congrats on the future colonies ;)
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

ArizonanAnts

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:24 am

sartwell90 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am
ArizonanAnts wrote:

-ArizonanAnts
Awesome job Arizonan! Congrats on the future colonies ;)
Thanks
Keeper of