I’m the suburban area north of Salt Lake City I found an ant in July that I can’t identify

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Akasha

I’m the suburban area north of Salt Lake City I found an ant in July that I can’t identify

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:26 pm

So I live 30 miles north of Salt Lake City in the suburban area. I had Seen an ant flight about four days before. She just walked up to me in my backyard which was kind of weird. I put her in a test tube set up and covered her well, let her alone for a while. Unfortunately I only had a small test to do start with so it ran out of water when I moved her she ate all of her eggs, my second large test tube ran out of water and again she ate her eggs .. She has a very tall lump on her back and has two connectors between her thorax and abdomen She’s just black, no markings that I can see. Her antenna has one joint And she’s really quite large I think. Pictures to follow. Pictures to follow in the attachment list, no macro lens I’m so sorry! Anyone who can help me out I would really really really appreciate it! I got to figure out what I’m doing wrong! Thanks with all my heart, Jess
1 mystery queen found July in utah

Akasha

I have a 9 mm ant. I am new to the hobby… Pretty pretty please help me identify her… Tons of information below!! Thx!!!!

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 pm

So I live 30 miles north of a mountain surrounded valley, Salt Lake City in Utah. I’m in a wooded suburban area. I saw an ant flight about four days before.. My ant wandered up to me in my backyard which was kind of awesome! My first queen!! . I put her in a test tube set up and covered her well, let her alone for a while. Unfortunately I only had a small test to do start with so it ran out of water when I moved her she ate all of her eggs, my second.. large test tube ran out of water and again she ate her eggs. She is in her third with a ton of water! But no new eggs..... ?

Her features.
She has a very tall lump on her thorax.. like she’s wearing a backpack ha ha and she has two connectors between her thorax and abdomen. She’s just black, no markings or stripes that I can see. Her antenna have one joint And she’s really quite large I think. She is or 9 mm. She has kind of a heart shaped head which is the course smaller than Abdomen and her thorax. Pictures to follow If they work on the attachment list… Which they haven’t before so I’m just hoping. no macro lens I’m so sorry! Anyone who can help me out I would really really really appreciate it! I got to figure out what I’m doing wrong! And how they care for this queen!! Thanks with all my heart, Jess

P.S. (Already spent tons on ant supplies) I am very serious about this new hobby! Desperate desperate desperate for help identifying my only queen! I want to take care of her in the way she needs to be!! Thank you so much, I hope this new post with more information helps!

Akasha

I have pictures now! I Think I have found a way to post my pictures, copy and paste to look at on the Internet, thank yo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 am

Pictures!!! I hope this helps! Copy and paste I think 🥰 Thank you so much everyone for your help!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0Z5oqs3qiueQ8

Yay!!!!! I believe I found a way to post pictures of my ant.. Please take a look, I’m sure they will help in identifying her. If this doesn’t work… I don’t know what to do to get a picture on here LOL! Thanks so much everybody!! I think you have to copy and paste… please let me know what you think!! Thank you thank you thank you Jess

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: I’m the suburban area north of Salt Lake City I found an ant in July that I can’t identify

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:23 am

Looks like Tetramorium to me but Tetramorium usually fly in the Spring, not the Fall. Lasius usually fly in Fall.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator