4-5 mm ant, not sure what caste or species

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

DeiaFormica

4-5 mm ant, not sure what caste or species

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm

I found 2 of these little 4-5 mm reddish-brown ants under a rock, they were sitting only inches from a large colony of yellow-brown ants that were closer to 3.5mm in size, and had very pointed gasters, so I'm convinced my 2 catches are unrelated, but possibly are of a parasitic species.

These 2 little red ones have a noticeable hump where wings might be attached, but my eyes aren't trained enough to confirm it. I also recently learned that parasitic ants tend not to have large gasters since they don't raise workers traditionally.

Anyway, I tried to capture some clear footage, but my hands are really shaky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7G_xktseM

Those metal objects are actually the little batteries and spring from a dollar-store laser pointer, so hopefully that gives you a better idea of scale.

These are some the clearest images I could gather from the video:

Martialis

Re: 4-5 mm ant, not sure what caste or species

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Queen. Myrmica, probably.
Keeper of

Selliing:

DeiaFormica

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Do you think I should give them food, if so what kind?

LasiusSapien

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:54 am

did you ever get a id on these guys looks a bit like acorn ants maybe they are Temnothorax sp.?
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Good2Know15

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:19 pm

DeiaFormica wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm
I found 2 of these little 4-5 mm reddish-brown ants under a rock, they were sitting only inches from a large colony of yellow-brown ants that were closer to 3.5mm in size, and had very pointed gasters, so I'm convinced my 2 catches are unrelated, but possibly are of a parasitic species.

These 2 little red ones have a noticeable hump where wings might be attached, but my eyes aren't trained enough to confirm it. I also recently learned that parasitic ants tend not to have large gasters since they don't raise workers traditionally.

Anyway, I tried to capture some clear footage, but my hands are really shaky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7G_xktseM

Those metal objects are actually the little batteries and spring from a dollar-store laser pointer, so hopefully that gives you a better idea of scale.

These are some the clearest images I could gather from the video:
Congratulations! They are both queens. I think the first one could be Temnothorax sp and the second one Myrmica sp :)
Both are semi-claustral which means that you need to provide them with a small outworld where they can hunt for food weekly. They should be both fed small dead insects, like fruit flies, and droplets of sugar water or honey once three(?) days ;)
I have a Myrmica queen too and she looks exactly like your queen in the second picture. I have her test tube attached to a small container with a straw where I provide her with food. Semi-claustral species need a lot of peace before larvae hatch (they tend to eat their eggs when stressed sometimes), so don't check on her more than once a week.

Good luck!
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!