New ant queen help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Beamersbbq

New ant queen help

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi uys this is my first time trying ant keeping. I recently got a queen ant and her first workers. I currently have 2 workers. One of them always seems to flip itself on her back and the queen and other worker just watch as shes trying to right herself. Is this a normal thing? Also its red carpenter ants.

Hawkeye

Re: New ant queen help

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Beamersbbq wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm
Hi uys this is my first time trying ant keeping. I recently got a queen ant and her first workers. I currently have 2 workers. One of them always seems to flip itself on her back and the queen and other worker just watch as shes trying to right herself. Is this a normal thing? Also its red carpenter ants.

My ants did the same (flipping over) before they died from what I suspect was a heat stroke (we had a heatwave over here) So I guess my first question would be, which temperature are you keeping them at?
Also, come join us in the Camponotus Crew (see signature) to exchange ideas and experiences with fellow ant keepers!

Beamersbbq

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm keeping them anywhere from 72-75F. I just got them yesterday and noticed it when I got them. The other worker seems fine and I have a few eggs and one larvae and one pupae. I'm hoping everything will be fine if the one does die.

antnest8

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:06 pm

I don't think it was heat stroke simply because 70-75 degree's is perfect temprature for ants. It could be any number of reasons. Just think us humans have thousands of diseases or ways we can die. Ants do to. All we can do is make sure we give them as favorible conditions as possible, because until one of us starts researching how ants die and do autopsy's or
Something we are left with explanations that slightly resemble a medival way of thinking. Such as "nature has a natural kill switch inside ants". For now these are all we have.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Beamersbbq

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:16 am

How bad is it for the queen if she was to die this early? The queen and the other worker have not eaten as far as I can tell. I have a drop of honey on some parchment paper and a cricket leg in the test tube. I'm guessing just leave them be and everything should be fine. But I'm not sure at all. They wont move out of the corner for anything.

antnest8

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Beamersbbq wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:16 am
How bad is it for the queen if she was to die this early? The queen and the other worker have not eaten as far as I can tell. I have a drop of honey on some parchment paper and a cricket leg in the test tube. I'm guessing just leave them be and everything should be fine. But I'm not sure at all. They wont move out of the corner for anything.
Does the colony have any pupae? If they do it will be but a minor setback if they don't it will be a rough ride for the colony with only one worker for several months.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Beamersbbq

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:56 pm

The queen has a couple eggs one pupae and one larvae. And the one worker was on her back all day yesterday and I decided to out them in a drawer and let them be. Just checked on them. Both workers seem fine and they finally ate some honey. That was the first time they ate as far as I know.