Bee pollen

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

LasiusSapien

Bee pollen

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am

"Bee Pollen Granules
Did you know bee pollen is one of the most nutritious foods known to man and woman? We were shocked and impressed to learn this too. In fact, bee pollen’s nutrition is so amazingly balanced, it is widely considered a complete survival food in itself. It’s full of healthy minerals, vitamins and other elements. And astonishingly, the protein profile of bee pollen is considered completely complete – with a more essential amino acids than any single meat source! Power to the flower and whoopee to the bees! Please read on for more nutritional info and culinary insight…"

sounds to me like my ants are gonna love it, found small 20-25g pouches for about £3.00 :D
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Re: Bee pollen

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:29 pm

LasiusSapien wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am
"Bee Pollen Granules
Did you know bee pollen is one of the most nutritious foods known to man and woman? We were shocked and impressed to learn this too. In fact, bee pollen’s nutrition is so amazingly balanced, it is widely considered a complete survival food in itself. It’s full of healthy minerals, vitamins and other elements. And astonishingly, the protein profile of bee pollen is considered completely complete – with a more essential amino acids than any single meat source! Power to the flower and whoopee to the bees! Please read on for more nutritional info and culinary insight…"

sounds to me like my ants are gonna love it, found small 20-25g pouches for about £3.00 :D
Let me know how it works out? And they like it, would you send me a sachet as well? Before Brexit happens preferably :D

will24k

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm

You know there's no such thing as "bee pollen" right? its just regular flower pollen. Also if it was so good for ants then you would see them collecting it directly from the flowers themselves, therefore its likely a waste of money.
Species kept:

Messor barbarus,
Lasius niger,
Myrmica rubra

Hawkeye

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 pm

will24k wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm
You know there's no such thing as "bee pollen" right? its just regular flower pollen. Also if it was so good for ants then you would see them collecting it directly from the flowers themselves, therefore its likely a waste of money.
I know ants do actually collect nectar from flowers, so the pollen might not be a giant leap. I am uncertain whether or not they have the appropriate enzymes to process the pollen. Carpenter ants, for example, can munch down on wood but can't actually eat it as termites can. Ants leave plant sap alone but definitely, enjoy the honeydew aphids make of it. However, what's the harm in trying? He might have struck gold for all we know?

I think the bee adjective is just to signify it has been collected by bees.

will24k

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 pm

RE: Hawkeye

Nectar is very different, and yes they do actively collect it. Pollen however is an abundant resource found in most habitats around the world and is certainly within ants capabilities to collect and eat it if they wanted to. The fact that they do not (to my knowledge), despite coming into contact with it regularly indicates that they just dont see it as a viable food source.

you might be right with the "bee" part though :)
Species kept:

Messor barbarus,
Lasius niger,
Myrmica rubra

LasiusSapien

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 am

lol it's called bee pollen as it's collected from bees and my lasius niger, messor barbarus and new camponotus turkestanus queen all seem to like it even her 1 worker is all over it so in my book it's going down on the protein page

and hawkeye if i had a spare pouch i'd send it to ya this 20g pouch came from amazon £1.99 and free postage :D
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 pm

No worries, I'll have a look around over here