Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CANant

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm
hey guy's thought i'd give fair warning i'll be joining the crew in a couple of pay day's time, looking at the one's with smaller colony size's as would like to keep set-up size down
You've been posting so you’re already part of the crew :D
What species were you looking at? I’m assuming Camponotus but have you narrowed it down yet? There are so many. The bigger the ant the shower they grow because they take longer to develop. Keep us posted!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:42 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm
So I had an Idea the other day. Since I have three camponotus pennsylvanicus queens, Do you guys think it would be possible that maybe the alates from each colony could mate with each other? I could put a tube from the two main colonies into another outworld. I know they wouldn't all stay in there, but I might be able to catch some before they go into the ground. It's just an Idea. Any other ideas on it would be welcomed. :D

Thanks all!
Cabbo
Definitely they could. If the settings and conditions were right they would. I’ve read somewhere if it’s possible. When the colony is ready you could open the lid of the outworld but make sure you have a good barrier to keep the rest in, then the alates can fly out and you would be helping the species and complete the lifecycle. Just make sure no outsiders can get in and take over your colony and your colony doesn’t overheat it in the sun.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

sartwell90

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:01 am

Lots of catching up reading, jeez what a great thread this has been.

So I have some pretty cool updates. First thing is I finished building to my satisfaction a couple outworlds for the Tetramorium colonies.

A fully described update is in my journal thread, link in my signature, but the tl;dr for the wonderful crew here is that the Tetramorium polygyny experiment has yielded two results.

One queen was singled out and killed by the four others, I have a theory as to why which is expounded on in the journal.

The coolest result though, is that I have been successful in facilitating the creation of a polygynous Tetramorium colony! The four remaining queens are healthy and interacting with the workers and each-other and all laying eggs. I'll keep an eye out for additional coups, as it is now in the worker's hands.

Polygyny in Michigan Tetramorium spp. confirmed, nice! 8-)
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

Camponotus

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am

sartwell90 wrote:

So I have some pretty cool updates. First thing is I finished building to my satisfaction a couple outworlds for the Tetramorium colonies.

A fully described update is in my journal thread, link in my signature, but the tl;dr for the wonderful crew here is that the Tetramorium polygyny experiment has yielded two results.

One queen was singled out and killed by the four others, I have a theory as to why which is expounded on in the journal.

The coolest result though, is that I have been successful in facilitating the creation of a polygynous Tetramorium colony! The four remaining queens are healthy and interacting with the workers and each-other and all laying eggs. I'll keep an eye out for additional coups, as it is now in the worker's hands.

Hello i can't wait for your new video of Carpenters they are just beautiful :D

CabboAntsGuy

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am

I'm off for an hour and all this happens! :lol: We'll be at 500 replies in no time!

Update- I've be catching all kinds of bugs and freezing them. Grasshoppers, flies, crickets. I can't wait for Estrella's eggs to hatch! Also, I came up with names for the two other queens. "Stella", which is "star" in Italian, and "Reina", which is "queen" in Spanish. They are both still at the eggs phase.
Last edited by CabboAntsGuy on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am
I'm off for an hour and all this happens! :lol: We'll be at 500 replies in no time!

Update- I've be catching all kinds of bugs and freezing them. Grasshoppers, flies, crickets. I can't wait for Estrella's eggs to hatch!
Haha look at you go! :D

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 am

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you guys can have a look at https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15591&p=62858#p62858 to help identify what I think is a Camponotus species, but I am not sure which? Modoc seems like a valid option, but I think the markings on her gaster might be different...

CANant

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am

sartwell90 wrote:

Wow! These are amazing!! What did you use for the ground?! Looks sparkly :o
Nevermind I will read your journal!
I have a few journals to catch up on still!
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

LasiusSapien

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 am

CANant wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am
LasiusSapien wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm
hey guy's thought i'd give fair warning i'll be joining the crew in a couple of pay day's time, looking at the one's with smaller colony size's as would like to keep set-up size down
You've been posting so you’re already part of the crew :D
What species were you looking at? I’m assuming Camponotus but have you narrowed it down yet? There are so many. The bigger the ant the shower they grow because they take longer to develop. Keep us posted!
i'm going for Camponotus turkestanus the golden variant, going to try a semi desert like environment that provides the correct conditions for the ants while being pleasing to the eye also have plans for a large Spanish farmers field like environment for my messor's too
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:18 am

sartwell90 wrote:

Those outworlds look very nice indeed sartwell! Is that travel as a base?