New to ant keeping from Dallas Texas :D

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Monarch

New to ant keeping from Dallas Texas :D

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 am

Youtube randomly recommended one of AntsCanada's video and after a few months watching, I've decided to start my first ant farm! I'm 28 male and live in Dallas Texas- the greatest country on Earth (i chose my words carefully). So excited to be here!

I received water picks from my local Kroger. Its August and I've captured 2 very red queen ants (assuming Red imported Fire ants) and 1 much smaller black queen ant (debating if its a pavement ant or odorous ant). I'm still learning Latin names :D.

Currently i have them individually in a *** SPAM *** test tube (water pick) set up. I will have pictures and updates in a month.

HELLO!

Hawkeye

Re: New to ant keeping from Dallas Texas :D

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Monarch wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 am
Youtube randomly recommended one of AntsCanada's video and after a few months watching, I've decided to start my first ant farm! I'm 28 male and live in Dallas Texas- the greatest country on Earth (i chose my words carefully). So excited to be here!

I received water picks from my local Kroger. Its August and I've captured 2 very red queen ants (assuming Red imported Fire ants) and 1 much smaller black queen ant (debating if its a pavement ant or odorous ant). I'm still learning Latin names :D.

Currently i have them individually in a *** SPAM *** test tube (water pick) set up. I will have pictures and updates in a month.

HELLO!
Why hello there! Welcome to the forum.

Now I wouldn't want to rain on your parade, but if you are new to keeping ants, maybe you want to refrain from keeping fire ants for now? They're not easy to keep, quick to escape and obviously have a nasty sting. Check Mickeys latest video for instance where he got bitten so many times...

antnest8

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Fire ant's are harder sure but in the early stages they are easier and grow fast. They would be great practice. Though I would just make sure your allergic. ;)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Monarch

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 am

Thank you for the replies! in my research ive seen they are tough....but im impatient and dont want to wait till next year :P Im hoping my odorous ants do well.

and yes i have been stung by these before and they hurt! plus they leave small scars T_T