First Workers and Feeding?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: First Workers and Feeding?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:52 pm

PAants wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 am
First of all, I recommend you check up on your ants a lot less. Sounds like you checked at least 3 times in one day? You can easily leave the food in there for 3 days without it growing any dangerous molds.
Dragging the leg into the nest is not uncommon, they might actually want the queen to help them with her far more powerful jaws.
Twice in one day (which I had never done before, and the first of those was just to provide the food), and once the following day.
So, do you guys think I should give the first colony something else to eat, or leave them alone for a few days?
Just give them something that is easy to 'dig' into like a cut open cricket/housefly/spider or a maggot/mealworm. And then give them about 3 days to discover the food, identify it as a food source, possibly relocate it etc. etc. etc. Mind you these ants have literally been born in a test tube, they are seeing everything for the first time.

CabboAntsGuy

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Yeah. I would give them something not so hard to eat. Then leave them alone for a few days. In the wild they wouldn't eat it in a short amount of time. they would eat it on their own time.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

PAants

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll try that.