Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

zkublin

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Thu May 26, 2016 11:01 am

noebl1 wrote:They are still flying as well. Went outside a few minutes ago and had to persuade one off my deck ;)
Well I got solid results for only checking out urban areas on this one! Thanks noebl1, I really appreciate you giving me the heads up. It makes ant hunting a lot easier when we give each other there notifications. Please please please keep posting whenever you see any other major flights take place. Seriously it is a huge help to me.

Thanks again and happy hunting everyone!

zkublin

Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm

noebl1 wrote:Not sure if stragglers from last night but just had a Camponotus queen still with wings cross my path on a sidewalk on the way to an appt just now.
My guess would be its a straggler from last night, or they could be pulling a double header, flying yesterday and today.

zkublin

Fri May 27, 2016 8:22 am

Just snagged another Camponotus while walking the block from my parking spot to my office!

thescienceguy1980

Fri May 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Lucky MASS peeps! I have some, but am obsessed with Camponotus! That's my genus : )

zkublin

Fri May 27, 2016 2:40 pm

noebl1 wrote:
thescienceguy1980 wrote:Lucky MASS peeps! I have some, but am obsessed with Camponotus! That's my genus : )
You say that, until you see 40+ along the foundation of your house :lol: No joke, I must have seen well over 100 between the driveway (about 450' long) and along the house and 1/2 acre cleared area with house is in the woods. Amazing how many I saw; so many... so so so many last night. There were even clusters where 3 or 4 were following each other across the driveway or steps.

I now have 2 different species of Camponotus Myrmentoma, but may end up releasing them as really really prefer Lasius, and don't want to have to maintain a ton of different colonies atm.
Before you release them post on the board and let us know. Depending on how many of my queens make it/start laying eggs I may want to adopt one or two of them.

As a note to all moderators and concerned Ant Kepers alike, as far as I know I am less than 100 miles from @noebl1 and we both live in Mass. I am not in favor of breaking any federal regulations or damaging any native ecosystems :D

zkublin

Fri May 27, 2016 3:01 pm

noebl1 wrote:This was the other one from last night I may end up giving away too:

Have to see when I get home if she made it thru the night.

Still haven't seen Camponotus Americanus fly...or missed it.
Ya unfortunately the one I got this morning does not look like she is going to make it :cry:

zkublin

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Yep I caught some on Tuesday as well.

zkublin

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Any sightings in the mass area recently? I have not seen anything near the city.

AntsRule

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm

That is funny-same here in PA :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

zkublin

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:56 am

OK rain rolled through our state last night. Lets hope for some flights!!!