Messor barbarus

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Vincex

Messor barbarus

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi I've recently bought my first two colony s 1 messor barberus with a few workers about 5 and lasius niger , now the lasius are flying with lots of nanautics and a bit stack of brood on the way but the Messer queen doesn't seem to be laying any eggs .they have a good supply of mixed seeds and the odd spider but nothing's happening and it's been about 2 months and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this ant ?
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Hawkeye

Re: Messor barbarus

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 am

Vincex wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm
Hi I've recently bought my first two colony s 1 messor barberus with a few workers about 5 and lasius niger , now the lasius are flying with lots of nanautics and a bit stack of brood on the way but the Messer queen doesn't seem to be laying any eggs .they have a good supply of mixed seeds and the odd spider but nothing's happening and it's been about 2 months and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this ant ?
I don't have any experience with the messor, but have you tried a drop of honey or some sugar water? She might just need some energy foods (sugars) instead of protein.

Other than that, you yourself might actually be the cause as well if you check on her too often causing her to stress out. So my advice would be to give some unchlorinated sugar water (doesn't attract fungus) and leave her be for at least 2 weeks.

Also check on temperature and or humidity needs?

Vincex

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 am

That's the thing I have her in an antkit all in one form which is supposed to keep her covered in testube ! Not sure if you need to feed fruit most research does say seeds and protein. How long should I leave her in drawer when she already has workers ? As in could I leave in her in there for a month with worker s
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Vincex

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 am

Plus they say there fine at room temp as well but you could use heating system but would that even help lol
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 am

Vincex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 am
Plus they say there fine at room temp as well but you could use heating system but would that even help lol
Well if room temperature is good, then you're fine. Seeds are a source of protein, but ants need sugars too. They eat nectar, honey, honeydew from aphids and fruit as well.

Vincex

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 am

I'll try that thanks then leave in drawer for a few weeks
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am