New to ants!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

LeoTheAnt

Re: New to ants!

Wed May 25, 2016 4:27 pm

I think I just caught a queen and I posted a topic on it. Would Vaseline work to keep this queen in her formicarium?

Solenopsisace

Wed May 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Nope just baby oil.ive tryed Vaseline and petroleum jelly before. Some of the smaller species can walk through that thick stuff. So I just applied one coat of baby oil a week with my finger. I have Let It Go for 2 weeks before with no escapes. But I'm not going to push it I still cry once a week. Which is about the same time to clean out world also feed and water my colony. Also it looks better to have at least a clear looking oil then a gummed up jelly strip going along the top of the outworld. :D

Solenopsisace

Wed May 25, 2016 9:04 pm

LeoTheAnt wrote:I think I just caught a queen and I posted a topic on it. Would Vaseline work to keep this queen in her formicarium?
Yes Vaseline might work. But I've never kept camponotus before I'm going to try it this year. Is worth a try. How do you think I found out baby oil works,smells and looks better. I had to experiment :D

Solenopsisace

Wed May 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Oh I forgot to mention. While I conduct these experiments I had my own world and formicarium in a moat(surrounded on all side by water). Just like Castle's did in the medieval days :D . Cuz trust me I have had failed attempts at stuff. Everyone does it happens to the best of us

LeoTheAnt

Thu May 26, 2016 6:04 am

Ok thanks for the information! Can't wait to start a colony!

Solenopsisace

Thu May 26, 2016 6:20 am

Lol.give it about a month after she hatches her first few.then it will gradually pick up. But for now the waiting period sucks :(