When/how to first feed an ant species?

Make your suggestions here.
Thehousesparrow

When/how to first feed an ant species?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 am

Hey! So, I am relatively new to ant keeping - have previously had two unsuccessful goes at keeping Lasius Niger - and have just recently caught a Lasius Niger queen, which is starting to lay eggs. However, I am a bit confused/unsure about when and how to first feed my colony. From a couple of sources I've read, I have to feed them a few days after the first generation of workers, but does this mean I have to feed them inside the test tube? If so, won't they escape? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thehousesparrow

Re: When/how to first feed an ant species?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 am

For anyone wondering, the first attempt didn't produce any nanitics, and the second attempt was bought from a store, and I released them when I mistakenly thought them dead. :shock: :D

LasiusSapien

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:44 am

hi mate, from my limited experience my niger queen and 6 workers are really easy to feed in the test tube the workers have no real interest in straying to far from the queens side
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

ClashOwenBash

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 am

I agree, plus you can tell when they need a proper set-up once they start escaping. Also you could always use a tubs and tubes setup if you're worried about just the test tube. I raised my first Lasius Niger in a test tube, the queen did take a year to produce her first generation, so some patience is required. But they aren't fussy, but start small. I started feeding them a week after the first workers enclosed.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!