New to ants!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

LeoTheAnt

New to ants!

Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi my name is Leo. I hadn't been interested in ants until I started watched the AntsCanada YouTube channel. I keep many other insects including Cokroaches isopods/pillbugs and millipedes. I look forward to catching my very first queen soon and starting my own colony but my parents don't like ants... They would let me keep any other insects just not these ones. There reason is because weave had a problem were ants in the summer sometimes come into our house and it freaks my mom out so she doesn't want me keeping ants in the event that they could escape. Any tips on convincing?

AntsRule

Re: New to ants!

Tue May 24, 2016 8:48 pm

AntsCanada made a video specifically for that! Here is the link! Have them watch it! :D :D
https://youtu.be/gnPicU8ac30

Also tell them that there is a liquid called insect-a-slip that ants cannot walk over as long as they are not fire ants. So there is very little risk of escape. Good luck! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

LeoTheAnt

Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Ok I will try to find time and show them the video :D how expensive is insect a slip? Could you give me a link of were to purchase it? ive herd its camponotus season so if I catch any can they be stopped by this barrier?

Solenopsisace

Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 am

If she lets u keep roaches, i really dont see y she would trip about keeping ants.just tell her u need the ants as an insurance policy.just incase the roachs escape and start breeding all over the house.now the ants can take care of the roachs :D

LeoTheAnt

Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 am

All the roaches I keep are tropical species and won't do well out of their heated environment so they can't infest a house :D she doesn't like ants because in the warmer months they come into the house looking for food and if I kept ants and they escaped she would be terrified to find them in her cereal or something like that!

AntsRule

Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 am

Most ants except fire ants can not get over the barrier. :D It is pretty expensive like 20$ for a 4oz container but that stuff is really only needed for really escape pron species.Here is the link to where to buy it.
https://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProd ... ?pid=2871A
There are other mixtures like talcum powder-alcohol mixture works well for most species. I am not sure what kind of alcohol to use or the mixture but if you google it you will find it. Does anyone know the mixture? You catch camponotus at night and I thought this link might help you. It has ways to trap night flying species! Make sure you always catch a few and not just one because some always end up being unfertilized or end up dying for some reason. You can always let them go later on! :D
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/2282- ... nt-queens/
Good Luck!!! :D
Hope that helped!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

LeoTheAnt

Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks I'll be sure to check it out!

AntsRule

Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 pm

LeoTheAnt wrote:Thanks I'll be sure to check it out!
Just be careful that web site has some not so nice people. AntsCanada's forum is so much more friendly. I try to stay away from that forum all together because they are not to helpful. Good luck! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I just use johnson baby oil.about 2in along the top rim of formicarium or out world.only a couple of my workers have tried to go through it and got stuck.the rest dont try after that,plus it smells alot better than rubbing alcohol :D

martinnate

Wed May 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Do you mean talcum powder and baby oil or just baby oil? I use just KY Jelly or petroleum jelly, put on a good thick 1in line all the way around the top of the out world. Only had one make it across but that was b/c I have a heat cable around the one side of it and it melted the petroleum jelly and it "earth quaked" and the little bugger crawled between the cracks lol I reapplied some more and all was good. Oh I keep Crematorgaster spp.