How to feed honey/sugar water.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Alex07

How to feed honey/sugar water.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey all fellow ant keepers!

My new Camp. colony had six worker (one died yesterday 😭) but is now down to five. I feed once a week on Fridays but was reading and came into different opinions. First off, when feeding your ants honey water or sugar water I read not to put in test tube due to fermentation and mold growth so how would one feed them that? Two, I've been switching my food from honey to cricket to honey to cricket etc on feeding days and my question here is that correct? I leave in for 24 hrs before taking out (I use foil as a food tray to avoid the test tube becoming sticky for my babies). Any pointers would help considering I have another ant colony with it's first worker hardening waiting to feed it's first time.

Thanks,
Alex

Keeper of camponotus nicobarensis & unknown.

LasiusSapien

Re: How to feed honey/sugar water.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Alex07 wrote:

My new Camp. colony had six worker (one died yesterday 😭) but is now down to five. I feed once a week on Fridays but was reading and came into different opinions. First off, when feeding your ants honey water or sugar water I read not to put in test tube due to fermentation and mold growth so how would one feed them that? Two, I've been switching my food from honey to cricket to honey to cricket etc on feeding days and my question here is that correct? I leave in for 24 hrs before taking out (I use foil as a food tray to avoid the test tube becoming sticky for my babies). Any pointers would help considering I have another ant colony with it's first worker hardening waiting to feed it's first time.

Thanks,
Alex

hello friend if they are in a test tube set up you can make sugar water and put a bit of cotton in it to soake it up and let them feed from that, also what species are they :D
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Alex07

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:05 pm

LasiusSapien wrote:
Alex07 wrote:

Thanks,
Alex

hello friend if they are in a test tube set up you can make sugar water and put a bit of cotton in it to soake it up and let them feed from that, also what species are they :D
That is so simple yet so brilliant! Thank you for the expert level tip! I have two that I recently started. The first one I bought from the GAN and was told it's a camponotus nicobarensis. I looked into it and apparently it's invasive to Illinois (or north America for that matter) and initially was upset but now I love cuz no hibernation. The other species is unknown. I was cleaning my pool and found her on my deck after I bought the camponotus. When I can take her out without stressing her I was planning on taking a picture and posting it on the forums.

LasiusSapien

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Alex07 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:05 pm
LasiusSapien wrote:
Alex07 wrote:

Thanks,
Alex

That is so simple yet so brilliant! Thank you for the expert level tip! I have two that I recently started. The first one I bought from the GAN and was told it's a camponotus nicobarensis. I looked into it and apparently it's invasive to Illinois (or north America for that matter) and initially was upset but now I love cuz no hibernation. The other species is unknown. I was cleaning my pool and found her on my deck after I bought the camponotus. When I can take her out without stressing her I was planning on taking a picture and posting it on the forums.
np friend i'd wait till they have a few workers ants always feel safer in numbers
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs