Infertile Queens

Frequently Asked Questions About Ants

Moderator: ooper01

FrederickAnt

Infertile Queens

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am

Hi ant keepers (or to be)

just wanted to ask about an something that happened in last years nuptial flight. I live in Hong Kong which has a generally hot and humid climate, and I caught 2 infertile Crematogaster queens (let's differentiate them by calling them A and B) I raised them and male alates emerged from the eggs they laid, would the alates from A mate with B and vice versa (so would the newly hatched male alate mate from an infertile queen A, mate with an infertile queen B?) and they're dead now...

question 2: I live in zone 10 (Hong Kong, subtropical) and most of my ants died in fall (when it gets slightly colder) do ants in subtropical climate need to hibernate? Do I need a heating pad to keep the queens warm?

Anyways I caught a tiny Pheidole Queen anyway, need ID, live in HK and caught it on 11/7/2019 and ate her own egg (will write this in a separate topic) :cry:
Keeper of 8x Crematogaster queens (still in claustral stage)
Keeper of 1x Camponotus Albosparus queen (still in claustral stage)
:mrgreen:
HK antkeeper

antnest8

Re: Infertile Queens

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 pm

how cold does it go in winter? because usually ants don't die unless it gets below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4.5 degree's Celsius) but tropical ants can die as high as 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit (10 - 12 Celsius). I think.