New to AC Forums

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

New to AC Forums

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 am

I've made a few posts since joining but figured I would introduce myself. My name is Chuck and i've been fascinated with ants since around 10... im 30 now. My first successful Ant farm was a colony of big headed ants (very small species) I had captured numerous workers, soldiers and queens during nuptial flights. This colony lasted over a year but unfortunately due to my young age and inexperience it perished due to malnutrition and a spider. The store bought ant farm i had was poorly created and had space for these tiny ants to escape from which led them to roam freely on a table hence the spider deaths. Since that time i have succesfully built ant farms that housed many ants including RIFA. I have kids and a fiancee now but have recently been able to get back into ant keeping despite my fiancees remarks about the strageness of it and how ants have been labeled daddys friends.. in my early years the internet wasnt realky a good source of information but thanks to AntsCanada I now realize i was a compleye amateur when it comes to taking care of ants. I look forward to gathering and sharing information with all of you.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Whitelotus

Re: New to AC Forums

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 am

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully we will all be of aid to any questions or endeavors you post on this forum.

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 am

AntChuck wrote:
I've made a few posts since joining but figured I would introduce myself. My name is Chuck and i've been fascinated with ants since around 10... im 30 now. My first successful Ant farm was a colony of big headed ants (very small species) I had captured numerous workers, soldiers and queens during nuptial flights. This colony lasted over a year but unfortunately due to my young age and inexperience it perished due to malnutrition and a spider. The store bought ant farm i had was poorly created and had space for these tiny ants to escape from which led them to roam freely on a table hence the spider deaths. Since that time i have succesfully built ant farms that housed many ants including RIFA. I have kids and a fiancee now but have recently been able to get back into ant keeping despite my fiancees remarks about the strageness of it and how ants have been labeled daddys friends.. in my early years the internet wasnt realky a good source of information but thanks to AntsCanada I now realize i was a compleye amateur when it comes to taking care of ants. I look forward to gathering and sharing information with all of you.
Welcome to the forum! What species of ants are you looking to keep this time around? Oh and since you've build your own setups, you might be interested in my plans to house Carpenter ants in a minature biotope!

AntChuck

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 am
AntChuck wrote:
Welcome to the forum! What species of ants are you looking to keep this time around? Oh and since you've build your own setups, you might be interested in my plans to house Carpenter ants in a minature biotope!
Right now i have around 30 tetramorium queens and 6 lasius flavus. My choices are a bit slim where I live lol. I did read through your whole post about your plans. Its pretty grand if you are able to make it come to pass. I ordered an AC tower to try it out... so putting my own building on the backburner till some of these colonies begin to grow. I'm more fond of the larger size dirt ant farms that give you the ability to watch them tunnel.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis