Help... Not an antkeeper, trying to save a Queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: Help... Not an antkeeper, trying to save a Queen

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:48 pm

Oh by the way, -and I realize since you didn't intend to get into keeping ants at all this might be a bit much- I'd be more than willing to send you a detailed 3d model of the paludarium I intend to build for my colony of Camponotus Ligniperda. Mind you, for the first year, possibly 2 years, you'd be far better off with the large hybrid nest and an outworld, as it will be cheaper and take up a lot less space! But I am hoping you'll actually get into keeping ants and take care of this rare exotic queen and her offspring.

My design is a combination between an aquarium and a terrarium, based on many of the elements from enclosures shown on the AntsCanada YouTube clips. Though your ant queen is quite obviously another species, I reckon it will suit her and her future colony quite well. I would love all the hard work I've put in designing, re-designing, researching, etc. to be beneficial to other colonies and their keepers too. In fact I'd be honoured if you decided to use my design to house your royal highness! :D

Check out my plans at: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14842

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:13 am

Tetellix wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm
Thank you for the answer !

I think I found some beetle larvaes, I froze them all to get rid of bacterias.
So far I don't have any worker (only cocoons and a big batch of eggs) so I shouldn't have to worry about feeding them any time soon if I understood the whole thing right.. Heh.
How are they doing?

Tetellix

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tetellix wrote:

So far I don't have any worker (only cocoons and a big batch of eggs) so I shouldn't have to worry about feeding them any time soon if I understood the whole thing right.. Heh.
How are they doing?
Hey ! I'm so sorry I haven't checked for replies in a while, I was very pleased to see how enthusiastic you were.
I actually found a second one... I felt I had to save her as well since she was settled in wood meant for burning... so here I am with two of those gigantic Queens. After some research I discovered that Camponotus Herculeanus were found on the Island, so it might be it ?

The first one is still doing pretty good, she's laying a lot of eggs and the second one i was able to save 5 larvaes that are now cocoons and she layed a few more, unfortunately she misses a bit of her middle leg. Although it doesn't seem to be an issue. So i'm not sure if I should feed them, I don't see any sign of distress since they keep laying eggs and don't act agitated.

As for the formicarium, I intended to release them in the wild as soon as they had workers and now I kind of want to buy hybrid Nests for them... I guess this is how it starts, right ? The only thing keeping me from really diving into the adventure is that i'm quite afraid of insects and the idea of having tons of them crawling on my hand while i try to feed them or clean the nest is disturbing haha. But i'm working on it, and I find them more fascinating every day.

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Tetellix wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tetellix wrote:

How are they doing?
Hey ! I'm so sorry I haven't checked for replies in a while, I was very pleased to see how enthusiastic you were.
I actually found a second one... I felt I had to save her as well since she was settled in wood meant for burning... so here I am with two of those gigantic Queens. After some research I discovered that Camponotus Herculeanus were found on the Island, so it might be it ?

The first one is still doing pretty good, she's laying a lot of eggs and the second one i was able to save 5 larvaes that are now cocoons and she layed a few more, unfortunately she misses a bit of her middle leg. Although it doesn't seem to be an issue. So i'm not sure if I should feed them, I don't see any sign of distress since they keep laying eggs and don't act agitated.

As for the formicarium, I intended to release them in the wild as soon as they had workers and now I kind of want to buy hybrid Nests for them... I guess this is how it starts, right ? The only thing keeping me from really diving into the adventure is that i'm quite afraid of insects and the idea of having tons of them crawling on my hand while i try to feed them or clean the nest is disturbing haha. But i'm working on it, and I find them more fascinating every day.
No problem man, happy to hear from you. I have compared the photo's you posted to all the known species of Carpenter ants in Canada... I found no match! Her color scheme is different from any known species over there. Now bear in mind I am by no means an expert in identifying ants (in fact I am very much a rookie) but you might just actually have discovered a new species! How cool would that be? You'd probably get to name it too if it was indeed previously undiscovered.

Feeding them? You might try a tiny drop of honey (you can use a toothpick) but I doubt either will accept it. They come fully stocked with food and won't need any sustenance until they have fed their first offspring. After that I would offer a drop of honey (diluted with a bit of water to make it easier to ingest) and a form of protein.

Now I am sorry to say you might have indeed been infected with the Itch... I think I can lessen the blow for you somewhat though. The carpenter ants are a very slowly developing species, so the after the first 2 years you probably will still have a relatively small colony (50-100 ants), not nearly enough to be covered with them... (Unless you decide to boost one with the eggs of the other)

Furthermore with the hybrid nest, you will put down some food in the outworld where generally only about a maximum of 25% of the colony will be at any given time, unless there is a specific situation. Like a very good food source they discovered, invaders or some sort of damage to the nest. (the latter will probably drive them underground instead)

Third you wouldn't be cleaning the nest, the ants will do that themselves. They will drop insect remains in their outworld, where you can pick them up with some long tweezers. (which you can always coat with a layer of babypowder and rubbing alcohol so the ants won't be able to climb up.

Could you possibly take some more close up pictures? Preferably from different angles.

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Hey there!

Haven't heard from you in quite a while and thought I'd check up on you. How are you doing? And how are the two queens you rescued?
Not sure if it is your thing, but you are more than welcome to join our Camponotus Crew (see the link in my signature)

Eager to hear from you!

Tzakeran

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:21 pm

That's a pretty neat looking pair of Camponotus queens you found! Come over and join our Camponotus crew! If you decide to release or keep them, we can help ya with any information you might need!
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

CANant

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:50 pm

My guess would have been Camponotus Pennslyvanicus (if she is all black) and Camponotus Herculeanus if her legs seem to be a dark shade of rust brown. Both would be found in that area.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️