Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Sorry here are some pics

AntsDakota

Re: Queen ant, hollysprings, mississippi,usa

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Mrpancakes wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm
Can you identify my queen (if it is a queen) thanks. :D
She looks like Solenopsis spp. (fire ants). They are very fast growing, aggressive, and have a painful sting. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend them, yet you could try to keep them until they grow beyond your ability to care for them.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Mrpancakes

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 pm

On that stinks! its literally the only thing I can find :cry: that's kind of what I thought though.
Have any tips on finding an easy spp??

For a beginner like me

AntsDakota

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Mrpancakes wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 pm
On that stinks! its literally the only thing I can find :cry: that's kind of what I thought though.
Have any tips on finding an easy spp??

For a beginner like me
Anything from the genera Camponotus (carpenter ants), Formica (field ants), Lasius (each species has its own common name), ant Tetramorium (pavement ants) are all very common and recommended beginner species.

Camponotus are large ants, which makes them easier to view than most other ants. However, they grow very slowly at the beginning. When they get going, though, their colonies can mature at tens of thousands of workers (nothing compared to the millions fire ants would get to). Large colonies can be aggressive and spray formic acid. These ants are also interesting due to their large soldiers, which roam the colony as guards, repletes (workers that store food) and foragers.

Formica are common medium sized black/silver to tan ants. They are relatively fast growing, but in the end their colonies don't get large like Camponoutus do. The workers are pretty aggressive when you mess with them, and also spray formic acid.

Lasius are smaller brown ants. They are the ones you would see creating little piles of sand in sidewalk cracks around their nest entrances. They are relatively fast growing, and colonies reach a few thousand workers. Though they can be aggressive toward other ants and insects, they generally don't harm humans.

Tetramorium are small black ants. They are known to wage massive wars against neighboring colonies of the same species. Colonies grow the fastest out of all these, and are the most aggressive. Yet they are too small to inflict much pain to humans. Workers are equipped with stingers, yet have difficulties puncturing human skin.

All these species are considered beginner species since they are easy to feed, easy to watch, and have high success rates. And all are present in Missouri and pretty much every other U.S. state.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Mrpancakes

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks for all the info!! The only thing is I live in the middle of nowhere no sidewalks or pavement. I've been queen hunting for about three days nothing yet (well I did see what I thought were some c. Spp. Workers and one dead c. Queen floating in my pool but I don't know) also there are a ton of solenopsis spp. Queen (I'm sure they are queens). the thing that stinks is last year I tried looking but all I saw was solenopsis spp. (At the time I was pretty sure they were solenopsis but I didn't know and so I didn't want to catch it if it was solenopsis) so I didn't catch anything!!
I was pretty excited to see a queen other than solenopsis even though it was dead (pretty sad huh)!

Have any tips for finding queens like where to look and/or when?

I would LOVE a colony of tetramorium spp. Everything about them works for me!!

And yes I love the exclamation mark :lol: !!! (I'm very enthusiastic) :lol:

Mrpancakes

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Is this a queen (I'm doubtful) :?
If by some way it is,what spp.

AntsDakota

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:18 pm

Mrpancakes wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:44 pm
Thanks for all the info!! The only thing is I live in the middle of nowhere no sidewalks or pavement. I've been queen hunting for about three days nothing yet (well I did see what I thought were some c. Spp. Workers and one dead c. Queen floating in my pool but I don't know) also there are a ton of solenopsis spp. Queen (I'm sure they are queens). the thing that stinks is last year I tried looking but all I saw was solenopsis spp. (At the time I was pretty sure they were solenopsis but I didn't know and so I didn't want to catch it if it was solenopsis) so I didn't catch anything!!
I was pretty excited to see a queen other than solenopsis even though it was dead (pretty sad huh)!

Have any tips for finding queens like where to look and/or when?

I would LOVE a colony of tetramorium spp. Everything about them works for me!!

And yes I love the exclamation mark :lol: !!! (I'm very enthusiastic) :lol:
A gravel road will suffice, as it still forces the queens out into the open where you can see them.

AntsDakota

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Mrpancakes wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Is this a queen (I'm doubtful) :?
If by some way it is,what spp.
I believe that is some sort of solitary bee.

Mrpancakes

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

I found a huge queen ant but it's dead :(