Identify these Ants please!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

RedShield75

Identify these Ants please!

Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 pm

I live in a temperate region of Washington State, about an hour from seattle.
Last year on the first week of september, I caught two ant queens on my doorstep. I gave them proper set up, and over time it evolved here and there. I moved them to a less shaky environment, then added a heating cord, then had hibernated them in a mini fridge (about 5-10 degrees celsius, which I read was the right temperature) a week before Christmas. Second day of spring I took the tubes out and set them back up. In April I added a test tube rack. I checked on them a few days later to see how the rack had effected them, as well as to take picture, and they had FINALLY, after 8 months, layed brood. And now we're here and I can share the pictures.
https://s347.photobucket.com/user/RedShield75/library/Ants?page=1
For scale the ants are stored in an AntsCanada test tube, and this particular one had a test tube portal attached with a second test tube (hers ran out of water), at the time I took the picture. In two of the photos thats her eating a dab of honey I provided (I figured 8 months without food meant they'd be wanting to eat something, and I was right) in the test tube portal.
The pictures blur it out a little, but the antennae have a joint like an elbow in them.
If you have an idea of what species it is please list why you think so as well.
Personally I'm thinking they might be Tapinoma Sessile, but whenever I go do research I stumble on another ant species that looks to be right.

WillWithAnts

Re: Identify these Ants please!

Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!
When you post pictures, get the direct link to the photo and put it within the brackets the insert photo gives you:
Congrats on the queen :D Based on AntWiki, Tapinoma Sessile flies in June/July, so finding one in September seems a little off. I would lean toward Formica spp., of which there are 37 native species in your state. . . so we might need better pictures to get a complete ID. However, if she is laying eggs and she is accepting food, I don't see a reason to change anything. Some Formica spp. are social parasites and do not start colonies on their own, but yours is obviously not since she has eggs. Awesome. Can't wait to hear how she does!

RedShield75

Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

RedShield75

Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm

TheRealAntMan

Sun May 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Formica subsericea.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

WillWithAnts

Mon May 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Seems like a solid ID to me