Random male in 6 workers Camponotus Barbaricus colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

UnrealSparks

Random male in 6 workers Camponotus Barbaricus colony

Sun May 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I have a small colony of Camponotus Barbaricus, with just 6 workers. The first five are all normal workers. But today, after checking their nest, I noticed a really weird ant with some tiny deformed wings on its back, a big and pointy abdomen and a big thorax (bigger than the head).

Could this possibly happen from time to time, even within small colonies due to non-fertilized eggs? :roll:
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

AntsDakota

Re: Random male in 6 workers Camponotus Barbaricus colony

Sun May 19, 2019 2:56 pm

UnrealSparks wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:27 pm
I have a small colony of Camponotus Barbaricus, with just 6 workers. The first five are all normal workers. But today, after checking their nest, I noticed a really weird ant with some tiny deformed wings on its back, a big and pointy abdomen and a big thorax (bigger than the head).

Could this possibly happen from time to time, even within small colonies due to non-fertilized eggs? :roll:
That seems to be the only explanation at the time (unless one of the workers somehow managed to lay a male egg and raise it in like a couple days).
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

UnrealSparks

Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:56 pm
(unless one of the workers somehow managed to lay a male egg and raise it in like a couple days).
Yeah, I guess that could also be a possibility. Even though I thought only colonies with gamergates could do that.
Anyway, today another normal worker has hatched and everything seems to be alright.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

WillWithAnts

Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Woah! That is crazy!

JoeHostile1

Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

My 1 year old Myrmica Rubra colony produced about 10 males in a row last year. She only had about 20 workers at the time. Then she returned to making female workers. The males got attacked and dragged out of the nest by the workers. After a couple weeks they all died out in the outworld.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA