Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) Nuptial Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

310Ants

Re: Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) Nuptial Sightings

Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the DelMarVa post.

I'm in Bowie, MD and new to ant keeping!

I found 1 queen on 20 April 2019, but still not 100% sure if she's a Camponotus as she does look rather small. She's 3/8 of an inch long or 9.5mm. She is doing good though - last time I checked she was protecting 4 eggs, one of which was starting to turn color. Link to post is here: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14097

When I'm off work today (15May19) I'm going to head to a local park and see what I can find - it will be late in the day 5pm-ish, but it's the best I can do. This past weekend here was very rainy and today is the first day after where it's not too windy/breezy.
Keeper of:
1 Camponotus pennsylvanicus (with a colony of 3)
1 Tetramorium immigrans

Chareno

Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Hey everyone! I've been on the hunt constantly but havent had a lot of luck despite plenty of rainy/sunny days. About a week ago my wife found a camponotus pennsylvanicus alate at brecknock park in Dover. I was working so i dont know if it was part of a nuptial flight but she said it was all alone. Hopefully she mated.

Then today i looked all morning at the park and found nothing until i got home and found a bunch of queen alates of an unknown species in my pool! I gathered up 16 living ones, some with a lot more vigor than others. I might post a picture in the identification section later to figure out what they are. They are black and about 1 cm long.

Anybody else have any luck?

Chareno

Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 pm

Oh yeah i also found a small brown queen a day or so after the camponotus that i havent identified yet.

gsparrow

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Found a bunch of queens this morning near Camden, DE. Not sure what kind yet. I have pics sent out for ID. Will let you know what kind when I find out. All the queens were the same kind so a big nuptual flight occured there last night.

gsparrow

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm

So the species I found this morning are Tetramorium immigrans.

gsparrow

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Chareno wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 pm
Hey everyone! I've been on the hunt constantly but havent had a lot of luck despite plenty of rainy/sunny days. About a week ago my wife found a camponotus pennsylvanicus alate at brecknock park in Dover. I was working so i dont know if it was part of a nuptial flight but she said it was all alone. Hopefully she mated.

Then today i looked all morning at the park and found nothing until i got home and found a bunch of queen alates of an unknown species in my pool! I gathered up 16 living ones, some with a lot more vigor than others. I might post a picture in the identification section later to figure out what they are. They are black and about 1 cm long.

Anybody else have any luck?
Still have those you saved out of the pool? Any idea what kind yet?

Chareno

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:40 pm

They were tetramorium immigrans. Theyve been flying constantly and i have way too many so if anyone wants some let me know. They all have larvae. Ive got 1 tapinoma sessile queen with larvae as well but i already have a colony of those so if anyone would like it...
Just got a few small queens of another species a couple days ago. Not sure what they are yet but theyre about half the size of the tetramorium queens and a little bigger than the T. Sessile.
I also have a somewhat large black queen thats not as big as a camponotus. Havent identified her but ive had her a few weeks and she hasnt laid eggs.

gsparrow

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 am

Chareno wrote:
They were tetramorium immigrans. Theyve been flying constantly and i have way too many so if anyone wants some let me know. They all have larvae. Ive got 1 tapinoma sessile queen with larvae as well but i already have a colony of those so if anyone would like it...
Just got a few small queens of another species a couple days ago. Not sure what they are yet but theyre about half the size of the tetramorium queens and a little bigger than the T. Sessile.
I also have a somewhat large black queen thats not as big as a camponotus. Havent identified her but ive had her a few weeks and she hasnt laid eggs.
Are you giving away your extra Tapinoma or selling?
Also, I picked up 10 of the Tetramorium immigrans the other day and put them into test tubes. Checked on them 2 days later and they all had eggs already. Waiting to see if eggs are fertile. I will only be keeping one for myself.

gsparrow

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Caught 4 queen Pheidole bicarinata this morning in Camden, DE. Guessing they flew after saturdays thunder storms went through. I was not home this weekend so I'm glad I was able to still catch some results of the storm.

Chareno

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:28 pm

gsparrow wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 am
Chareno wrote:
Are you giving away your extra Tapinoma or selling?
Also, I picked up 10 of the Tetramorium immigrans the other day and put them into test tubes. Checked on them 2 days later and they all had eggs already. Waiting to see if eggs are fertile. I will only be keeping one for myself.
If you want the tapinoma you can have it. I already have a colony.