Is my semi-claustral setup good?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

RvBVakama

Is my semi-claustral setup good?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:59 am

So I caught two queens from which I suspect to be semi-claustral, I created a setup based on a couple videos I've seen. Do you think these setups should work for semi- claustral or evwn fully claustral. Well actually I now remember that the AntsCanada dictionary says that semi queens cover their entrance. Maybe because the entrance is open and unable to be covered it worries them, or are they not laying because its not the right time of year. I found one of the queens in a hole with an eaten bug and the other just out in the open.

Why aren't my queens laying or exploring outside their test tube?

Thanks

Antfan

Re: Is my semi-claustral setup good?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:57 am

Maybe add a thin layer of sand to the bottem so its easier for them to walk. Also it looks like an amazing setup! Also maybe add a food dish so that its easier to clean up uneaten food in the outworld. Also its good that you are using tubs/glass tubs with round edges since if you apply the barrier its harder for the ants to climb out, but if the tubs had square edges it would be easier for the ants to climb out. Also it might not be a semi claustarel queen if it has a big abdomin/gaster. Also what species is it.

JoeHostile1

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 am

You should cover the test tube so it’s dark. Their definitely not going to be comfortable laying eggs out in the light like that.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

RvBVakama

Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
You should cover the test tube so it’s dark. Their definitely not going to be comfortable laying eggs out in the light like that.
Yeah, not sure why I haven't done this yet. I think because they live out in their little burrows and expirence a day night cycle out there so why not here. If they seal themselves up conmpletely then im wrong.
Antfan wrote:
Maybe add a thin layer of sand to the bottem so its easier for them to walk. Also it looks like an amazing setup! Also maybe add a food dish so that its easier to clean up uneaten food in the outworld. Also its good that you are using tubs/glass tubs with round edges since if you apply the barrier its harder for the ants to climb out, but if the tubs had square edges it would be easier for the ants to climb out. Also it might not be a semi claustarel queen if it has a big abdomin/gaster. Also what species is it.
Yeah I was gonna get reptile sand and, their gasters are quite big, I am also trying to ID it. Maybe a meat ant or it could be related to the ant i shared here, they both have white legs, https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13022&p=55667#p55667

Antfan

Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 pm

RvBVakama wrote:
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Yeah, not sure why I haven't done this yet. I think because they live out in their little burrows and expirence a day night cycle out there so why not here. If they seal themselves up conmpletely then im wrong.
Antfan wrote:
Yeah I was gonna get reptile sand and, their gasters are quite big, I am also trying to ID it. Maybe a meat ant or it could be related to the ant i shared here, they both have white legs, https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13022&p=55667#p55667

Thank you! Also you could try sand from a fish store (I have never tried it though.)

RvBVakama

Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

Antfan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 pm
RvBVakama wrote:
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Antfan wrote:

Thank you! Also you could try sand from a fish store (I have never tried it though.)
hmm