Suspected semi-claustral queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

RvBVakama

Suspected semi-claustral queen?

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:53 am

So I found this girl when I was checking up on a big headed nest that I've been watching for a month or so. I had not checked in a while so I went and found no big-headed ants, but I saw a black and in a very shallow hole, maybe 2cm diameter entrance and 5cm deep. So I come back the next day (today) and got her to come out, caught her and put her in a test tube setup. I poked around in her hole, carefully, no eggs or nanitics; but I did find some shells of bugs. This is what leads me to believe that she is probably semi-claustral.
It had been quite cold here in Melbourne recently and she was very close to the surface, I cannot imagine she would need any kind of heating, I am sure she will be fine in just room temp.

I have no clue what genus she is. Any IDs appreciated

My previous (first) queen did not make it, so I want to do this right, should I have the test tube in a container open and place some dead bugs somewhere else and some honey to simulate her to forage. I guess If she does not want to she can just stay inside also.
Something similar to this video by ants aus? [youtube]https://youtu.be/8edRYbn65Oo[/youtube]

RvBVakama

Re: Suspected semi-claustral queen?

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:19 pm

perhaps shes a meat ant?

aQuaintAnt

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi, I think I found these too in melb except on 7 April. I'm not an expert, however my assumption was tapinoma Sessile.

I found about 5-6 in a 5m2 radius that night.

RvBVakama

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:54 am

Hmm don't think so, Tapinoma Sessile is a house ant, yet I found these two enjoying the leaf litter and dirt. I did find them within 3 meters of each other, on separate nights.