[HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen has killed her only worker (Second attempt at keeping this ant species)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Gaazy123

[HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen has killed her only worker (Second attempt at keeping this ant species)

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm

I recently got a Camponotus barbaricus Colony - Queen was healthy upon arrival. 1 worker and 1 pupae. Earlier this month I attempted to keep this colony but sadly the queen died within 3 days due to supposed stress from travel OR I kept the heat within the test tube too hot ( I will take full responsibility). I have looked further into this mistake and I've ensured my new colony has kept at 20 Degrees. Enough to maintain but with a slow progression process.

I am nervous about this queen having the same fate. Today is day 3 and I peaked into the test tube (first time since arrival) and the single worker is dead... let's say not totally intact. The queen must have done that and I don't know what I've done wrong.

I have fed the worker/queen a droplet of honey water on the first day and the worker and queen seemed active. What could I have done wrong this time?

I've wanted to keep this ant species for years now - Now I have my own place I've been so excited... Can anyone help :(

Antfan

Re: [HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen has killed her only worker (Second attempt at keeping this ant species)

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:00 am

It could have killed her worker out of stress due to the heat or light or both or maybe being moved around too much. Try keeping them in a darker cooler place. Also since Camponotus barbaricus isn't native to the UK, it may not like the conditions of the room its being kept in as it may be colder/warmer than its normal habitat.

tacolover

Re: [HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen has killed her only worker (Second attempt at keeping this ant species)

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

I've never heard of ant queens murdering their own workers! usually when ant queens get stressed they eat their brood not their workers.
Sorry I'm not being much help here!