[HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen died less than 3 days after having her, what did I do wrong?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Gaazy123

[HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen died less than 3 days after having her, what did I do wrong?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm

My Camponotus barbaricus arrived 3 days ago and had a few eggs and one worker. This is my first time caring for a small colony as I've always had colonies that already have 50+ workers. I've always wanted these ants and I was very excited. I kept the test tube wrapped, out of direct sun and at the corner of my desk - out of sight.

I attached the test tube to a very small outworld (about the size of the bottom of a small mug), put some honey water in it to which the single worker quickly came to drink from before returning to the nest.

I was concerned about the heat as I read that the next temp should not be above 25-28 Degrees Celsius.
I was concerned about this as during the night the house can go to 17-19 degrees(sometimes lower), so I bought a heat mat labeled to be at 20 Degrees but after purchasing a thermostat, the temperature was 29 degrees.

Could I have accidentally killed the queen due to the heat? I'm just very unsure about how to keep the nest to a certain temperature otherwise. Can anyone help me?

AntsDakota

Re: [HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen died less than 3 days after having her, what did I do wrong?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

Gaazy123 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm
My Camponotus barbaricus arrived 3 days ago and had a few eggs and one worker. This is my first time caring for a small colony as I've always had colonies that already have 50+ workers. I've always wanted these ants and I was very excited. I kept the test tube wrapped, out of direct sun and at the corner of my desk - out of sight.

I attached the test tube to a very small outworld (about the size of the bottom of a small mug), put some honey water in it to which the single worker quickly came to drink from before returning to the nest.

I was concerned about the heat as I read that the next temp should not be above 25-28 Degrees Celsius.
I was concerned about this as during the night the house can go to 17-19 degrees(sometimes lower), so I bought a heat mat labeled to be at 20 Degrees but after purchasing a thermostat, the temperature was 29 degrees.

Could I have accidentally killed the queen due to the heat? I'm just very unsure about how to keep the nest to a certain temperature otherwise. Can anyone help me?
According to AntMaps, Camponotus barbaricus are native to the deserts of north Africa, where I would assume temperatures climb higher than 29 degrees C. She's probably fine.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Re: [HELP] My Camponotus barbaricus queen died less than 3 days after having her, what did I do wrong?

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 am

Yup you probably cooked her. This is why I don’t mess with heat sources. It’s a bad idea to try and heat a test tube because there is no escape for the ants and the glass just gets hotter and hotter and hotter. It’s also a confined space where the warm air has no where to go with little to no ventilation.

The people I’ve talked to who heat test tubes say they wrap the test tube in a towel then heat the towel. Or they try and heat the air beside the test tube without actually applying heat directly to the test tube. Just never under any circumstances apply heat directly to the test tube.

Personally I just don’t use heat because I think the risk outweighs the positive gains. The risk is the entire colony dies the gain is that instead of a worker taking 6 weeks to develop it takes 4 weeks for example. Although like I said I’ve been told there is no risk if you heat it properly.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

PwnerPie

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 pm

If you heated the entire tube then yet you cooked her. With heating, you can only heat a small part of their home. I only use heating cables so I can be specific where I heat them, then I only heat the entrance of the test tube so the ants can move the brood closer or further away as needed
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.