Ant barriers in a Paludarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Meths87

Ant barriers in a Paludarium

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am

Hi there guys,
I am looking to build a Paludarium for ants and also some shrimp/minnows.
My issue is, while designing it I realised that the pump would have a cable to power it and that would potentially be a way for the ants to escape.
I imagine even covered in Fluon, the ants would still stand a chance as the cable will act as a ladder against the glass.

Any other ideas for barriers or ways to get the power cable out without creating an easy escape for the ants?

Mike

Hunter36o

Re: Ant barriers in a Paludarium

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 am

Check out some of AC vids on YouTube. He cuts the top of a bottle off, puts the cable through it and covers that cable and bottle top in his barrier. This seems to have not failed him so that would be a good start.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Meths87

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:46 am

I have been watching he's videos for almost a week. Must have watched 30 easily.
Any idea which video he shows this? Or goes in to more detail on paludariums and ants.
I found the one where he kept having leaks to be very helpful but all the other I can find seem to be fully established paludariums and he focuses more on the ants.

Another query I have that might be covered in one of he's many videos is, how do you hibernate ants inside a Paludarium?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Hunter36o

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:29 am

It's more into the earlier days of the paladariums when he is moving the ants into it. Try the fire nantion's introduction to their one as I think that is the one. If not it is the golden empire one.

As for the second question I do not recall a video where he covered this and it is something I worry about too. Hope someone can answer that one for us both lol
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Antfan

Mon May 06, 2019 6:21 am

I think you could potentily cover the wire with glass and make a hole for the wire only fit the wire, so ants can't squeeze through

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Hey there,

I am not sure if this answers your question but have you thought about using an overflow leading to a refugem? That should eliminate the need for a electrical cable into your setup and there for you won't need any barriers either.
I've actually posted a design on the forum which uses that method. Feel free to check it out. Any feedback you could give me will be greatly appreciated.
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14842