Id please

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JoeHostile1

Re: Id please

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 am

Smells like citronella? The first one Could be Lasius claviger.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

NewAnter

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am

Ill try to get better pictures of the 2nd group of queens, i did manage to find 1 with winter ants around her they been tending to her but she doesn't look like Prenolepis imparis queen who knows i could be wrong, an if she is must mean i missed the flight

NewAnter

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 am

Ya i think it is Lasius claviger but alot queens look the same

DontSquishTheAnt

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 pm

moodery wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm
the other 2 look to be C. lienolata. but i would need better pictures to confirm it
The second kind of ant is not Crematogaster lineolata, and in fact, is not Crematogaster at all.

The distinctive features of the genus Crematogaster are: (1) a gaster that starts roughly square and terminates to a conspicuous point at which the sting is located (The gaster is more commonly regarded as cordate, or heart-shaped. Note that the lengths and widths of gasters vary between species and castes, though the main shape is the same.); (2) a petiole with two nodes (and thus, a Myrmicine genus), having the postpetiole attached to the gaster dorsally; and (3) a round, subquadrate, or subtrapezoidal head.

These queens would more likely be a different type of Lasius, or some other Formicine species, since they lack those features. They seem to have only a single petiolar node, and if so, are not part of the subfamily Mymicinae (which is what the genus Crematogaster is part of). But better pictures would always be nice.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

moodery

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:13 pm

DontSquishTheAnt wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 pm
moodery wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm
the other 2 look to be C. lienolata. but i would need better pictures to confirm it
The second kind of ant is not Crematogaster lineolata, and in fact, is not Crematogaster at all.

The distinctive features of the genus Crematogaster are: (1) a gaster that starts roughly square and terminates to a conspicuous point at which the sting is located (The gaster is more commonly regarded as cordate, or heart-shaped. Note that the lengths and widths of gasters vary between species and castes, though the main shape is the same.); (2) a petiole with two nodes (and thus, a Myrmicine genus), having the postpetiole attached to the gaster dorsally; and (3) a round, subquadrate, or subtrapezoidal head.

These queens would more likely be a different type of Lasius, or some other Formicine species, since they lack those features. They seem to have only a single petiolar node, and if so, are not part of the subfamily Mymicinae (which is what the genus Crematogaster is part of). But better pictures would always be nice.
thank you this why i love to id ants
keeping
1x Solenopsis molesta i think 10-20 workers
1x Camponotus pennsylvanicus/formosensis 2 worker
1x Formica pallidefulva 7 workers

NewAnter

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 pm

http://imgur.com/a/fdFfJna sorry about pictures cellphone camera this is 1 of the queens I found winter ants by they been feeding her