New Queen, no brood, no new ants.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsPlayViola

New Queen, no brood, no new ants.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 am

I recently got Yellow crazy ants (2-3 weeks ago (was it really that long ago?)) And the queen has not produced any larvae, she has nanitics (15-25) but no new workers. I got the ants from petantsmanila.com . I've been feeding them mostly leftovers (fried chicken, potatoes, pandasals (bread), carrots, honey and more) But they have no brood. They have some sand in their outworld and their nest is under a jar-cap filled with honey. What am I doing wrong?

It may be temperature now that I think of it, what temperature should it be? If so where can I get heating rods / cables / mats in manila (I can't find any here) (I'm just leaving them in my bathroom right now and manila temp is right now 22-31*C)

Actually it might be humidity, how can I get optimal humidity with an AntsCanada Formica nest for yellow crazy ants (they're staying under the jar cap in the outworld now, so I think I might be doing something wrong)

antnest8

Re: New Queen, no brood, no new ants.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am

The ants might not accept the potato and the other vegetables. The fried chicken on the other hand they might. I would try not to disturb them and feed them more and different kinds of meat if you can, or even better some feeder insects.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

JoeHostile1

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am

The brood exclusively needs protein to survive. If your not providing enough protein than the colony can not support larvae. Usually ants will eat cooked chicken but that may not be doing it for them. You need to give them bugs as that would be their main food source in the wild. Also see if they accept seeds, a lot of ants will eat seeds, but a lot won’t so it’s hit or miss.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

PwnerPie

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Fruit flies. Buy a colony from a petsmart of something and dump a solid 30 in. The ants will love hunting and the fruit flies store easily inside the nest without molding much. Meal worms can be good if you are looking for a ton of meat.
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

AntsPlayViola

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks, I'm getting some meal worms soon (in a couple days) so my ants should start getting better. Thanks!