Queens problem?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Dann28

Queens problem?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm

I was able to get a componatus clarithorax colony with 2 queens :D . When i got them the 2 queens were perfectly fine, they got along and were always together. When i moved them to a bigger nest (because they were in need) the two queens seemed to stay away from each other. I would occasionally see them together but they were usually far apart. One queen would have all the brood and the other would be there with only 2 or 3 workers, sometimes a major would come along and sit next to her. I was relieved that the queen was fine, but im a bit worried... can someone pls help.

Ps. Also i noticed that the "alone" queen had both her antannae missing and the other queen had one of her front legs missing. Im assuming that it was because of the move but im not too sure...
Im still a beginner :D .
-Camponatus Clarithorax /w 2 queens

Dann28

Re: Queens problem?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Also it seems like the water testubes that i set up in their nest isnt going down. I dont know where theyre getting their water from. During the winter (it still is) i didnt have my heating pad on so there was nearly no humidity, i would never see an ant crawl into the water test tube so one of them basically is untouched and there was bbn o difference since i moved them in... the colony is also around 30 workers and ive seen much smaller colonies such as lasius that have around 20 workers consume way more water...

Dann28

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cCtPWZvO1v78uXW7JPPxz70uW99qQ8cj/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XS3yG-95hSprRnjb_nlXxEHzAq4rX8MF/view?usp=drivesdk

JoeHostile1

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am

If your queens are missing pieces of their bodies that they weren’t before than they must be fighting each other. I would separate them before they kill each other.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Dann28

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:24 pm

No they arent fighting each other, the other day i saw them together... it was probably because of the move.

Dann28

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Update- I fed my colony a meal worm and some honey around a week ago. I didnt feed them today because i saw a bunch of ants with full gasters. Some of the brood seem to have grown but no cocoons yet. Workers seem fine and the "alone" queen switched spots... also the queens are in the same conditions.

Dann28

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Update- Im growing low on meal worms so I didnt feed my ants for this week. Many had full gasters so it will probably be fine. Im not too sure about the queens because i dont want to constantly stress the colony out, but i did take a peek and it seems like atleast 5 workers were surrounding the "alone" queen so hopefully this is a promising "improvement". The colony also decided the sort of scatter the brood so they werent all in one place. It didnt seem like they were organizing the brood but it doesnt seem too concerning.

Dann28

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Also the other day i saw an ant in the out world, but it wasnt moving. It was also near where the colony's graveyard was so started to blow at it. It started moving but it seemed like her back legs were broken or deformed. She couldnt walk properly and she couldnt mive them. I tried helping her but i couldnt do much. Every so often an ant would come to the outworld and came close to her, but they would just end up passing by her and ignoring her. I decided that she was probably going to die soon so i left her alone. After around 20 minutes she was still struggling and i felt really bad so instead i put her in the freezer, made sure she was sleeping then crushed her head... hopefully this doesnt mean anything bad.

Dann28

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Update- i fed my colony a mealworm today. We bought some fresh ones after the superworms died. I saw 2 cocoons yesterday, both the queens are alive, and the "alone" queen seems a lot better.