New Queen Messor Barbarus help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

GGUUNN

New Queen Messor Barbarus help

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 pm

List of questions:

1) How would I know that the queen has in fact mated?
2) Was advised to put some substrate in the test tube to get her to lay eggs faster. What kind of substrate?
3) Once the eggs hatch do I need to provide any nutrition for the queen? If so, what?
4) Once the larvae hatch do I need to provide any nutrition for the queen and larvae, if so, what?
5) Once there are pupae, do I need to provide any nutrition for the queen, if so, what?

Please advise

Thanks in advance

JoeHostile1

Re: New Queen Messor Barbarus help

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 am

1: the only way to know if she mated is she produces female workers.
2: I don’t put substrate in the test tube, but you could put some dirt or sand in there if you wanted to although I wouldn’t...
3,4,5: the queen is fully claustral which means she doesn’t eat during the founding stage. Feed her sugar water and insects when she has workers born.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

UnrealSparks

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:35 am

I'm currently keeping two Messor Barbarus colonies and I would't put any substrate in the test tube, since it's easier to care for them without it.

How Joe said, since the queen is fully-claustral, she does not require any food until the first workers hatch. Once they'll hatch I'd give them some fruit flies as protein source and try with the sugar water for carbohydrates, but mine are not big fans and usually reject it. If yours will do the same try giving them small seeds of different kind. Mine for example love canary seeds and also consume grass seeds.

As far as mating, the only sure way to check if your queen is mated, is to wait until the workers hatch, and if they don't have wings they're females.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

GGUUNN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I noticed upon arrival of the test-tube, there were some air bubbles present. Should I do anything? Should I add a few drops of water (with a pipette) to the cotton? Also, right now, the test tube is inside an eye glasses case in a book case which is the quietest place in the home. Not the warmest. I have a warmer spot but there would be more vibrations if I place her there, does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

antnest8

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm

don't add the water if there are bubbles there is nothing you can do once the test tube is made
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

UnrealSparks

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 am

GGUUNN wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I noticed upon arrival of the test-tube, there were some air bubbles present. Should I do anything? Should I add a few drops of water (with a pipette) to the cotton? Also, right now, the test tube is inside an eye glasses case in a book case which is the quietest place in the home. Not the warmest. I have a warmer spot but there would be more vibrations if I place her there, does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
Don't add water, it will just overflow. Also, air bubbles are normal after some time (since water evaporates and gets drunk by the ants) and you don't have to worry.

Messor Barbarus is easily bothered by vibrations, so I'd suggest to keep them in the quietest place possible.
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

antnest8

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 am

sometimes people say that you should try to get no bubbles in the cotton since as the ants drink it, it will slide down the tube over time, this is just annoying when you try to get the cotton out after using the tube, bubbles sometimes are good.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

GGUUNN

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:33 pm

It's been 3 weeks since the Queen's arrival, so far no eggs. How long is this going to take. I'm very impatient. :D

UnrealSparks

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am

She may be trying to hibernate. I'm currently keeping mine at 13*C for that. She will surely start laying in spring again.
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

GGUUNN

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:34 am

I am tempted to purchase a 15W heating cable. If doing so, where should I place the cable in relation to the test tube.

Or I could just wait it out until the springtime.

Suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Read more: http://queenant.proboards.com/thread/11760/new-queen-messor-barbarus-help?page=1&scrollTo=68654#ixzz5dFjMbmR7