Condensation in hybrid nest

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Lorcan

Condensation in hybrid nest

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:54 pm

My messor aciculatus queen and 20 workers are in a hybrid nest 2.0 and there is condensation on the glass surface. I have a heating cable in use. I was wondering how to stop this condensation and if it may be due to to much humidity. Also the ants seem to be far less active when they are near the condensation and I was wondering if it could kill them.

Hunter36o

Re: Condensation in hybrid nest

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:47 am

What kW output is the cable?
I don't have the hybrid nest myself but countless of people on here recommend nothing stronger then 15kW. The condensation could be caused by too much heat in the nest. Turn off the cable for a while and see if it lowers the condensation levels.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

JoeHostile1

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:34 am

Condensation is formed when warm air meets a cool surface. So the heating cable is warming the air inside the nest which hits the cold glass and then forms droplets of water.

To prevent this you need to either heat the air inside the nest less or increase the temperature of the glass. The condensation can’t directly harm the ants since it’s just water. However potentially you could have water dripping which could create a pool that the ants could potentially drown in. I’d be more worried about cooking them to death.

Side note, Messor acciculatus should be hibernating right now.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

berrydelosreyes

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:55 am

We have the same problem on this. I hope someone can help. I tried heating it in direct sunlight but it wont work. the moisture became worst (there are still no ants inside).

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 am

Could the medium be too wet maybe? Causing an uneasy ratio between humidity and heat?

I have yet to buy a hybrid nest so I am not familiar with the issues that may arise.
Now assuming they are all made to the same standards and Mickey's nests do not seem to have this issue. It would be somewhat safe to assume the cotton or what ever media you used if too wet for the nest and heat combined?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Lorcan

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Condensation is formed when warm air meets a cool surface. So the heating cable is warming the air inside the nest which hits the cold glass and then forms droplets of water.

To prevent this you need to either heat the air inside the nest less or increase the temperature of the glass. The condensation can’t directly harm the ants since it’s just water. However potentially you could have water dripping which could create a pool that the ants could potentially drown in. I’d be more worried about cooking them to death.

Thanks for that info! Also lots of websites say messor aciculatus don't need hibernation and I thought this was odd, I guess assuming your right that would explain why my queen has no brood or eggs.

JoeHostile1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am

Lorcan wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm
JoeHostile1 wrote:

Thanks for that info! Also lots of websites say messor aciculatus don't need hibernation and I thought this was odd, I guess assuming your right that would explain why my queen has no brood or eggs.
Yup I saw sites on the internet too that say that. Didn’t hibernate my acciculatus last winter and they did horrible all winter long. No eggs, no colony growth at all. Then their growth exploded during the summer. Couldn’t figure it out until I read they are from Asia. Currently -4C in Bejing and 7C in Japan right now. They are currently hibernating between 8C -10C and are doing well
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

antnest8

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:28 am

wait your ants are alive at -10 Celsius? I thought only some species of ants particularly wood nesting ants have anti-freeze in there blood.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

JoeHostile1

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 am

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:28 am
wait your ants are alive at -10 Celsius? I thought only some species of ants particularly wood nesting ants have anti-freeze in there blood.
I meant 8C to 10C. Although this is just a temperature that ant hobbyists feel comfortable hibernating ants at. I’m pretty sure all ants that live in temperate climates can survive well below 0C temperatures if introduced gradually enough. And not just ants, but all sorts of insects and spiders and amphibians, and basically anything that is cold blooded.

Take for instance my parasitic Lasius Queens. These colonies exist purely underground and the workers do not come to the surface to forage. Yet the queens after mating overwinter on the surface. Meaning they expose them selves to -30C and they survive no problem. As do the millions of other insects that hibernate during the winter.

And I know underground is not as cold as the surface, but the first 4 feet of ground freezes solid where I live. And many ant species do not dig below 4 feet. So that means even under ground they could be exposing themselves to 0C
Keeping: